Alternate names: Końskowola [Pol], Konskovole [Yid], Kon'skovolia [Rus], Konskovola, Russian: Коньсковоля. קאנסקאוואלע-Yiddish. 51°24' N, 22°04' E, 24 miles WNW of Lublin, 4 miles E of Puławy. 1900 Jewish population: 1,453. This village in SE Poland between Puławy and Lublin near Kuró, on the Kurówka River is the seat of a separate commune (gmina) within Puławy County in Lublin Voivodeship called Gmina Końskowola. 2004 population: 2,188 inhabitants. In 1712 Jews were allowed to settle; in 1765 569 Jews lived in 44 houses. During WWII, the Germans set up a POW camp and camps for slave labor that operated through 1943 in the town. The inmates worked for Germans on farms and on construction sites of roads and railroads. A ghetto established in the town was the destination of many groups of Jews including some from Slovakia. On May 8, 1942, the Nazis conducted an Aktion in which many Jews were rounded up and transported to Sobibor. In October 1942, the ghetto' population was liquidated in a massacre carried out by German Reserve Police Battalion 101 of some 800-1000 Jews, among them women and children, who were taken to a nearby forest and slaughtered. The ghetto's remaining inhabitants were transferred to another camp. 2 gravestones were moved to Kazimierz, otherwise, none remain. [June 2009]
Old Jewish Cemetery: Located on Sulica pokojna it was established in the second half of 16th century. The last burial took place in 1942. During WWII the 0.5 ha cemetery was destroyed with not even fragments of matzevot left. [June 2009]
New Jewish Cemetery: Located E of uliica Wojtowiczow. it was established at the end of 18th century. The last burial took place in 1942. During WWI, the 1 hacemetery was destroyed. Only one matzeva remains and is in Pulawy's museum. Part of the matzevot were used as building material. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000171
Konskowola is located in Lublin at 51°2522°04, 40 km from Lublin and 7 km from Pulawy. The cemetery is about 50 meters E of market square, on Spokojna (formerly Boznicza) St. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is the first half of the 16th century. 1921 Jewish population was 876.
The cemetery was established in the second half of the 16th century with last Orthodox burial 1942. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker, no wall or fence, no gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road. No stones are visible. There are no mass graves. A privte individual owns property with three houses and farm buildings. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery is not visited. It was vandalized after WWII. There has been no maintenance, no care.
Pawel Sygowski, Ul.Kalinowszczyzna 64/55, 20-201 Lublin tel. 77-20-78, completed survey in December 1991 and visited the site in November 1991.
KONSKOWOLA II: US Commission No. POCE0000172
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 09 June 2009 20:15|