KONSKIE: ?wi?tokrzyskie Print

(Yiddish: Kinsk)

Adam Penkalla wrote in his book "Jewish Traces in the Rregion Kielce and Radom that the Ko?skie Jewish cemetery was established probably in the 17th century outside built-up areas in the NW part of the village at the junction of ulic Staszica and Wjazdowej. The cemetery had two buildings. In the early 20th century, the cemetery area was expanded until in 1925 the size was 2 hectares. Like other Jewish cemeteries, this cemetery was destroyed during the WWII and Nazis also executed Jews and Poles here, including prisoners from ul. Jatkowej. The German occupiers forced the Jews to dig up tombstones that were used for construction work of among other things, the construction of pig fattening facilities and Modliszewicach spire. Documents held in the Jewish Historical Institute/E. Ringelblum in Warsaw, in the 1990s state that part the Soviets sold gravestones, probably to one of the inhabitants of Kazanów village. Even today, in Ko?skie and in nearby town buildings walls can be found constructed with matzevot fragments. Pictures of these buildings can be seen at Polin - Heritage of Polish Jews. The authorities closed the cemetery officially in 1965. Part of the land contains buildings. As a result of the devastation no trace of graves is visible. Pre-war images can be seen in archival photos, from the exposition called the House of Memory and Tradition Earth Konecki. In 2008, employees of the Board of Cemeteries secured a black granite gravestone from the former Jewish cemetery in very good condition. Its Hebrew inscription says: "Buried the blessed and beloved, a man of good heart and pure soul, respected, respected and devout son of Jacob Szraga Eliezer ha-Levi Lewin. He died on 2 Adar 691. Let his soul be bound in crown of life eternal "(2 Adar 5691 - 19 February 1931). photos. [May 2009]

US Comm. POCE000297

Konskie is located in Kielce at 51°12 20°25, 131 km from Warsaw. Cemetery: on Wyjazdowa St. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Burmistrz Miasta Konskie, 26-200 Konskie ul.Parzantow, tel. 32-49.
  • Regional: region Konsewator Zabythov, ul. IX Wiekov Kielc 3, Kielce, tel. 45634.

The earliest Jewish community was 17th century. 1921 Jewish population was 5037. The cemetery was established in the 17th century with last Orthodox or Conservative Jewish burial in 1943. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker, no wall, fence, or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. Before WWII and now it was about 2 ha. No gravestones are visible. There are no mass graves or structures. Municipality owns site used for agriculture. Adjacent properties are agricultural and storage. Private Jewish visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. There is no maintenance, no care. Vandalism and incompatible proposed development are slight threats. Security, weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats. Pollution and nearby development (i.e the storage) are serious threats.

Dr. Adam Penkalla, deceased, who visited the site, completed survey. [date?1990s]

Last Updated on Monday, 08 June 2009 10:46