You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KONIECPOL: Silesia
KONIECPOL: Silesia PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Gmina Koniecpol

Alternate names: Koniecpol [Pol], Konietzpol [Yid, Ger], Konyetspol', Конецполь [Rus], Sadeh Chadash [Heb]. 50°47' N, 19°41' E, 43 miles S of Piotrków Trybunalski, 25 miles E of Częstochowa, 22 miles SSE of Radomsko. 1900 Jewish population: 656. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). Gmina Koniecpol is an urban-rural administrative district in Częstochowa County, Silesian Voivodeship, in southern Poland with its seat in the town of Koniecpol, 40 km (25 mi) east of Częstochowa and 77 km (48 mi) NE of the regional capita,l Katowice. The 56.7 sq mi gmina had a 2006 population of 10,300 (out of which the population of Koniecpol amounted to 6,303). Gmina villages and settlements are Aleksandrów (village with "sołectwo status"), Aleksandrów (sołectwo Wąsosz), Borek, Dąbrowa, Kozaków, Kuźnica Grodziska, Kuźnica Wąsowska, Łabędź, Luborcza, Ludwinów, Łysaków, Łysiny, Michałów, Oblasy, Okołowice, Pękowiec, Piaski, Pod Jantym, Radoszewnica, Rudniki, Rudniki-Kolonia, Siernicze-Gajówka, Stanisławice, Stary Koniecpol, Stefanów, Teodorów, Teresów, Wąsosz, Wólka, Zagacie, Załęże and Zaróg. town history.  In the 18th and 19th centuries,the city declined despite attempts to develop industry, but by the middle of the 19th century, forged steel and rolled copper factories were established. Koniecpol lost the status of a city in the 1860s and only regained it in 1927. No restrictions on Jewish settlement in Koniecpol ever exitsted. Prominent merchants participated in the Leipzig Fair in 1675 along with Jews from other Polish cities. In 1764, 110 Jewish families lived in 70 houses of which 69 were owned. Among them were 3 tailors, 2 silversmiths, a glazier, a bookbinder, 4 butchers, a barber, 2 musicians (klezmorim), 2 entertainers, a teacher, 2 rabbis, a cantor and a shamas (sexton). The Jewish kahal had a synagogue, a poorhouse, a cemetery with a preparation building and a building for the community council. During the interwar period, well-to-do Jews, a relatively high number, included those who leased the rolled copper factory, leased or owned the flourmills and sawmills, lumber and textile merchants who traded with large cities. The middle and poorer classes were engaged in the traditional Jewish occupations. At this time, the old cemetery was enlarged. The large old stone synagogue built had a copper roof. Next door was a Beit Midrash. Koniecpol had many Chassidic shtibls. An economic boycott of Jews in the 20s increased.  In 1937, on one of the market days, a farmer provoked a Jewish youngster into a fight. The Jew gained the upper hand was winning until  the anti-Semites inflamed the crowd and promolgated a pogrom for following week. Jewish youth appeared on the streets with any weapon they could acquire. The pogrom fizzled. Holocaust history. In September 1942, the Germans liquidated the small Jewish communities in the surrounding villages of the Radomsko District: (Psherov [Przyrow], Olsztyn, Zloti Potok [Zloty Potok], Cieletniki, Lelov [Lelow], Janov [Janow]) and transported all their Jews to Koniecpol. [June 2009]

US Commission No. AS 138

[SIC: "Hebrew and Yiddish names were written in Hebrew script and not translated."]

Koniecpol is located in Czestochowa at 50°47 19°41, 46 km from Czestochowa and 100 km from Kielce. The cemetery is on Koscluszla St. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta Gminy, Ul.Mickiewicz 2, tel. 277.
  • Regional: region Konserwator Zabyticow Aleksender Broda, 42-217 Czgstochowa, ul. Domagalsluck 2, tel. 49-745.

The earliest Jewish community was 18th century. 1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 1077. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is with permission. There is locking gate. [Sic: An earlier answer on the survey states not locked.] No visible gravestones or mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for industrial or commercial use. Adjacent properties are residential. Compared to 1939, the size is smaller due to housing development. Frequently, by local residents. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. There has been no maintenance, no care, no current threats because the cemetery is totally destroyed.

Jan Pawet Wozonczak, Sundomiersks St. 21 m.l, 02-567 Warsaw, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey. He visited the site with Jeny Woronczak in 1986.

Last Updated on Sunday, 07 June 2009 00:27
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution