Map. 53°58' N 18°36' E, 154.7 miles NW of Warszawa. Kolincz is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Starogard Gdański within Starogard County, Pomeranian Voivodeship in northern Poland 8 km (5 mi) E of Starogard Gdański and 45 km (28 mi) S of the regional capital Gdańsk. [June 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000011
Earliest known Jewish community was 1772. The beginning of a permanent settlement occurred in the second half of the 15th century. In 1772, gradual migration to towns started. The cemetery was probably established during the 16th century with last known Hasidic Jewish burial in 1929. Village communities of Eastern Romania (up to 60 km away) also used it. Landmarked: in the plan of commune development. The isolated rural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The present size of cemetery is 0.59 hectares but pre-war size is unknown. No gravestones are visible. The removed stones' location is unknown. The cemetery contains no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access; water drainage is a constant problem. Private individuals own property used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery is visited rarely. It was vandalized prior to World War II. No maintenance. In 1986, the cemetery was designated for agricultural use.
Dr. Hanna Domanska, ul.Wladyslawa IV 34/3, 81-742 Sopot, tel. 51-04-22 cmpleted survey on 20/07/1991. The documentation form of the cemetery and H. Domanska's The Tree of Stone Tears; The Jewish Communities of the Gdansk Vovoidship; Their History and Culture. (Gdansk, 1991) were used as documentation in the completion of this survey.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 06 June 2009 02:51|