|KOLBIEL: Mazowieckie [Kołbie, Kolobeel, Kolbel]|
Alternate names: Kołbiel [Pol], Kolobeel [Yid], Kolbel',Колбель, קולביל-Hebrew. 52°04' N, 21°29' E, 24 miles ESE of Warszawa (Warsaw), 9 miles SSW of Mińsk Mazowiecki, 8 miles ESE of Otwock (Otvosk). Jewish population:125 in 1820 and 2,077 in 1909.
This village in Mazowieckie voivodship in the district Otwockim in and seat of Gmina Kołbiel on Garwolinski plain, SE of Otwock on national road No. 50 (art of International Route E372 on the river Borer belonged to Siedlce Voivodeship in 1975-1998. In 1853, Kołbieli Jewish community was established for Jews, who probably settled in the late 18th century, and lasted until WWII. There was a wooden synagogue. In 1941, the ghetto was created and liquidated on 27 September 1942. history on town website. The 19th century was turbulent for many of the Jews. The 1883 Geographical Dictionary of the Polish Kingdom and Other Slavic Countries, reported: "In 1861 there were 36 houses, 619 inhabitants (505 Jews); currently 50 houses, 800 inhabitants (600 Jews)." In 1909, the Jewish population of 2,077 represented approximately 89% of all residents, probably with a fair number of Chassidim as seen in the Otwock tomb of Mordechaj Zewa Eliakim (ben Moshe), who died in 1934, a descendant of the tzaddik of Lublin and Elimelech Magid of Leżajsk in Kozienice. WWI and e tsubsequent economic crisis contributed to immigration and a decline in the number of Jews. During WWII, the Nazis created in the ghetto in 1941 that enclosed local Jews, refugees, and persons displaced from other towns. On September 27, 1942, all residents of the ghetto were deported to Treblinka. [May 2009]
Located in a forest north of the city on ul. Kilińskiego, older residents of nearby property report that the cemetery was a "big", survived the war, and was completely destroyed after liberation. In summer 1944, the Russian army used the cemetery for defense. Past the walk are still visible signs of that. Some residents of Kołbieli stole gravestones from the cemetery for various construction purposes and some to rebuild the bridge over the canal, found easily even today. The old cemetery boundaries are blurred. The southern part of the cemetery has matzevot in very good condition. Several dozen meters northwest in a small glade are fragments of sandstone gravestones, probably moved from places of burial. One matzevot secured several years ago is in the Jewish Instytytu Historical warehouses in Warsaw. Photos. Map [May 2009]
burial list and gravestones [August 2014]
burial list [Jan 2015]
US Commission No. POCE000655
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed survey on 17 Dec 1992 using Urban Study of Kolbiel. He visited the site on 17 Dec 1992 and interviewed Stefan Kloch, Kolbiel on 27 Dec 1992.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 03 January 2015 21:28|