You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KOBYLA GORA: Wielkopolskie
KOBYLA GORA: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Kobyla Góra [Pol], Haideberg [Ger], Kobylagóra. 51°23' N, 17°50' E, 40 miles ENE of Wrocław (Breslau), 28 miles SSW of Kalisz, 9 miles NW of Kępno (Kempen). Jewish population: 160 (in 1880), 80 (in 1905). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IV, p. 209: "Kobylagóra". Gmina Kobyla Góra is the seat of a rural administrative district in Ostrzeszów County, Greater Poland Voivodeship in west-central Poland 12 km (7 mi) west of Ostrzeszów and 130 km (81 mi) south-east of the regional capital Poznań and contains the villages and settlements of Bałdowice, Bierzów, Ignaców, Kobyla Góra, Kuźnica Myślniewska, Ligota, Mąkoszyce, Marcinki, Mostki, Myślniew, Parzynów, Pisarzowice, Rybin, Zmyślona Ligocka and Zmyślona Parzynowska. . The 2006 population of the gmina is 5,779. The history of Jewish settlement is not well documented and not mentioned in Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, but Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego mentions 41 houses and 359 residents including 160 Jews. Fr. Wladyslaw Nawrot wrote "Kobyle Górza. The History of the Parish 1821 - 1945" and a monograph, "The History of Kobylej Mountains" thar Jews lived in in Kobyla Gora in the 18th century with a house of prayer. In 1887-1888 a new synagogue was built. 185 Jews lived in the town and surrounding villages at the end of the 19th century. In 1905, the number of Jewish residents of the village was just 139 due to immigration. During WW II, almost all Jews were murdered, with only one returning to the city after liberation. [May 2009]

CEMETERY: In the forest near the recreation center called "Nad Zalewem", the cemetery was established at the end of the 18th century and managed by the chevra kadisha. During WW II, the gravestones and brick fence were heavily damaged. After surrender, the increasingly abandoned cemetery fell into disrepair. In 1992, residents restored the cemetery area and set the remaining fragments and matzevot in a lapidarium with plaque reading: "The ruins of a Jewish cemetery (1770 - 1945). Polish Jews in memory of evil - the public. 1992." The few dozen surviving gravestones have characteristic Jewish sepulchral art decoration, among other Cohanim hands or treasury coins bas-relief for charity burials. With Hebrew inscription and German epitaphs that bear testimony to the assimilation of Kobyla Góra Jews. Photos. Photo. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000468  

Alternate name: Kobyla Góra (Polish). Kobyla Gora is located in Kaliskie. The town is located at 51°21 17°57, 75 km NE of Wroclaw. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, 63-507 Kobyla Gora, tel. 27283.
  • Regional: PSOZ-WKZ, ul. Franciszkanska 3/5, 62-800 Kalisz.
  • Interested: Osrodek Sportu i Rekrescji, Tetmajera St.

Earliest known Jewish community was about 1740. 1905 Jewish population was 80. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1803with last known Progressive/Reform burial in 1934. In 1856, 40 families from 6 localities used the cemetery. [Localities not given] The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside and crown of a hill, between fields and woods, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public recreation center, access is open to all with no wall or gate. 20-100 gravestones date from 1830-20th century. The marble, granite, and sandstone flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No mass graves. The present owner is unknown. The property is unused. Private visitors seldom visit. The cemetery, vandalized during WWII, has no maintenance or care. Adjacent property is recreation and residence. There are no structures. Vandalism is a very serious threat; security and vegetation (uncontrolled) are serious threats.

Eleonora Bergman and Michal Witwicki visited the site 25 Oct 1991 and Michal Witwicki, Dembowskiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa completed survey.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 03 June 2009 12:21
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution