You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland KLOBUCK: śląskiego
KLOBUCK: śląskiego PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of KłobuckAlternate names: Kłobuck [Pol], Klobutzk [Yid, Rus], Klobutzko [Ger], Kłobucko, Klobutsk, Russian: Клобуцк, קלובוצק-Hebrew. 50°54' N, 18°56' E, 11 miles NW of Częstochowa. 1900 Jewish population: 1,027. Yizkors: Sefer Klobutsk; mazkeret kavod le-kehila ha-kedosha she-hushmeda (Tel Aviv, 1960) and Mayn shtetl Klobutsk: dermanungen (Stockholm, 1973). This town in Poland with 13,254 inhabitants in 2004 in the Silesian Voivodeship is the capital of Klobuck County. Before WW II, the city had a Jewish community of about 2,000 persons most of whom were killed during the German occupation in WWII. Map. camp outside Klobuck was called Podgorz. photo of Jewish refugees near Klobuck. [June 2009]

US Commission No.  AS 136   
Klobuck is located in Czestochowski (Czestochowa) at 50°55' 18°56', 17 km from Czestochowa. Cemetery location: Szkolna St., E from street about 300 m. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta i Gminy pl. Obroucow Pokoju 13, tel. 2661.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 47-217 Czestochowa 1, ul. Domagelsluch 2, tel. 49-745.
The earliest known Hasidic Jewish community and the cemetery were established in 1st half of 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 1,647. The isolated flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.76 hectares. 1-20 gravestones, all in original locations with more than 75% are toppled or broken, date from 20th century. Inscriptions are in Polish. No mass graves. The municipality owns the cemetery used for agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery, vandalized during WWII, has no maintenance or care. There are no structures. Security and vandalism are moderate threats.

Jon Pawel Woronczak, Sandomierska St. 21 m. 1, 02-567 Warszawa, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey. Woronczak and Jeny Woronczak visited the site in 1986. No interviews.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 02 June 2009 12:40
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution