Alternate names: Kazanów [Pol], Kazanov [Rus]. Kazanów village in Zwoleń County, Masovian Voivodeship at 51°17' N 21°28' E in east-central Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Kazanów, 13 km (8 mi) SW of Zwoleń and 110 km (68 mi) S of Warsaw with a population of 460. Other villages in the gmina include Borów, Dębniak, Dębnica, Dobiec, Kopiec, Kowalków, Kowalków-Kolonia, Kroczów Mniejszy, Kroczów Większy, Miechów, Miechów-Kolonia, Niedarczów Dolny-Kolonia, Niedarczów Dolny-Wieś, Niedarczów Górny-Kolonia, Niedarczów Górny-Wieś, Ostrówka, Ostrownica, Ostrownica-Kolonia, Osuchów, Ruda, Wólka Gonciarska, Zakrzówek, and Zakrzówek-Kolonia. The first mention of the Jewish population Kazanów dates from the mid-17th century or 1711 according to other sources. Archival records from 1662 mention Kazanowie had sixteen Jewish taxpayers and `673-74 and 1673, thirteen. The minutes of the local Catholic parish showed that in 1711 in the Kazanowie Jewish community had a wooden prayer house. Jewish population: 80 in the village and its surroundings in 1781; 170 in 1827; and 469 in 1857. The Jewish community then had a beit midrash, cemetery, rabbi's house, cheder for boys and mikvahs. 1900 Jewish population: 816. 1921 census showed 336 Jews (41.3%). They erected a new brick synagogue in 1929-1930. After the outbreak of WWII, the Nazis increasing repressed forced labor and many other restrictions. Surrounding Jewish settlements were moved to the city. In October 1942, some Jews from Kazanów was deported to the ghetto in Siennie, from where they later went to the gas chambers at the Treblinka. [May 2009]
CEMETERY: Located in the eastern part of the village by the road to Kroczow, the exact date of establishing the 1.5 hectare cemetery is unknown, but it existed in the early 18th century. Before WWII, the cemetery was fenced with many brightly painted tombstones. The last burial on the cemetery took place in 1942. During WWII, the Germans destroyed the cemetery. Gravestones were used for paving roads. On June 26, 1946 authorities closed the cemetery without Jewish agreement. Today, only the partially destroyed brick cemetery gate and about 20 broken matzevot remain. photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000071 Map
Kazanow is located in Radomskie. The town is located at 51°15 21°29, 125 km from Warszawa. Cemetery location: rural area near road to Kroczowa. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1711. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 336 (41.3%). The Jewish cemetery was established 18th century with last Conservative burial 1942. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before WW2 was 1.5 hectares, now 0.7 hectares. 1-20 gravestones, all in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 20th century. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. There are unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns site used for agriculture (animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery is smaller than before 1939 due to agriculture. Private Jewish visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during WW2. No maintenance. Weather erosion is a moderate threat to cemetery.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 31 May 2009 12:27|