51°28' N 22°27' E, 82.1 miles SE of Warszawa. Kamionka is a village in Lubartów County, Lublin Voivodeship, in E Poland and seat of the administrative district called Gmina Kamionka 10 km (6 mi) west of Lubartów and 26 km (16 mi) N of the regional capital Lublin. The village has a population of 1,800. The village lost its town status but retains the regular layout of a town. In the 18th century, the village was famous for linen, but it had a poor location for trading. North of the village is a large coniferous woods and a small settlement of 2 farmsteads at the edge of a large wood, 2 km north, with the same name. Map. Partisan story. The ghetto was liquidated on October 11, 1942. Shoah testimony. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000169
Kamionka is located in Lubelskie at 51°29 22°28, 39km from Lublin, 13 km from Lubartow. Cemetery location: 1.5 km NE of the market square, approach through Nowa St. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was first half of 19th century. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 556 (24.6%). The Jewish cemetery was established 1st half of 19th century. There was an ohel of an undefined rabbi. Last known burial was in 1944. The isolated rural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before and after WWll is 0.7 hectares. 1-20 gravestones; not in original locations, date from 20th century. The concrete slabs with carved relief decoration and traces of painting on their surface have Hebrew inscriptions. No known mass graves. Present owner of forest is unknown. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries enclose the same area as before 1939. Private visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during and after WWll. No maintenance. Security, vegetation, and vandalism are serious threats. The cemetery is a forest overgrown with vegetation.
Pawel Sygowski, ul. Kalinowszkzna 64/59, 20-201 Lublin, tel. 77-20-78 completed survey in 1991. He visited in 1991. Interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 23:36|