Alternate names: Kamieńsk [Pol], Kamen'sk [Rus], Kamiensk. Russian: Каменьск. קאמיינסק-Hebrew. 51°13' N, 19°30' E, 37 miles S of Łódź, 15 miles SSW of Piotrków Trybunalski, 11 miles NNE of Radomsko. 1900 Jewish population: 781. Yizkor: Sefer yizkor le-kehilat Radomsk ve-ha-seviva (Tel Aviv, 1967). ShtetLink. Gmina Kamieńsk is an urban-rural administrative district in Radomsko County, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland. Its seat is the town of Kamieńsk.The gmina 2006 total population is 6,094 (out of which the population of Kamieńsk amounts to 2,858). Jewish settlement in Kamieńsk began in the 18th century. The oldest tombstone dates from 1831. In the 1870's, Israel Stieglitz was rabbi and served as its chief rabbi for over 40 years until his death in 1921. There were three synagogues in the city. In 1900, the town had 1,064 Christians and 787 Jews. By 1917 the Jewish population reached 1,163. Most Jews were tailors, shoe-makers and small tradesmen. In October 1942, about 500 Jews were deported to the Treblinka death camp. Map [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000663
Kamiensk is located in Piotrkowskie at 51°13 19°30, 28 km from Piotrkow; 16 km from Radomsko. Cemetery: at S of town, about 200 meters W from the road to Radomsko. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 856. Jewish community was Orthodox. The unlandmarked, isolated, urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, gate, or fence. The approximate size of cemetery is now 1.65 ha hectares. There are no stones, known mass graves, or structures. The cemetery property use is industrial or commercial. Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There has been no maintenance.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska St. 21 m. 1, 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 29 Dec 1991. The site was not visited.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 23:13|