JLAWA Print

Photos. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000640

Jlawa is located in Olsztynskie at 19º34 E 53º36 N, 74 km from Olsztyn. The cemetery is at ul. Biskupiecka. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta ul. Marchlewskiego 2, 14- 200 Jlawa, Tel. 2891.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojewodzki w. Olsztynie, Wychial Gospadarki Terenowej, 10-959 Olsztyn, ul. Pilsudckiego 7/9 Tel. 232276; Panstwowa Stuzba Ochrony, Zabytkow Oddnat w olsztynie, ul. Podvale 1, 10-076 Olsztyn, Tel. 272136.
  • Interested: Mgr. Wiktor Knercer, Panstwowa Sturba Ochrony Zabytkow Oddnat w Olsztynie Tel. 272136, ul Pa??[ rest illegible]. Mgr. Elzbieta Szyguta Zielinska, ul. Switezianki 6/3, 10-435 Olsztyn, Tel. 332922. Urzad Wojewodski, Wych. Gosp. Tevenooej, Tel, 232276.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1722 (15 families). 1925 Jewish population was 110. The unlandmarked cemetery was established in the 18th century or 19th century with last known Orthodox or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in the late 1930s. The isolated urban flat land has no signs or markers. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall or gate. The size of the cemetery is.22 ha. No stones are visible. Municipality owns property used for commercial, industrial and factory storage. Properties adjacent are commercial, industrial and residential. Threats: Incompatible existing and proposed development is a serious threat. Vegetation, weather erosion, pollution and vandalism are slight threats. The cemetery is used for factory storage.

Wiktor Knercer completed this survey in November 1991. He used Frederichs Deutscher Stadtebuch, Stuttgadt, 1939 as documentation.

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 18:04