JEZOW: Lodzkie Print

Alternate name: Jezew. 51°48' N 19°01' E, 89.8 miles WSW of Warszawa. The municipality is located in Jeżów Lodzkie region in district Brzeziny on  national road No. 72 Lodz - Warsaw. Gmina population: 3.800 residents. The gmina covers 94.38 sq km (36.44 sq mi), and as of 2006 had a population of 6,303. On February 1, 1941, 1,570 Jews then in Jezow (including  600+ refugees) were expelled to the Warsaw ghetto. The 0.3 ha Jewish cemetery on Rawska St. was established in 19th century. Jews first arrived in 1793. 1921 Jewish population: 1048. The last burials were registered between 1939 and 1945. During the war, the cemetery was destroyed and closed in 1967. In 1989, it was fenced and cleaned. Only 3 matzevot remain. [May 2009]

ShtetLink. [October 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000223
Jezow is located in Skierniewickie at 51º48N 19º58E, 37 km from Lodz and 84 km from Warsaw.. The cemetery is on ul. Rawska. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, ul. Kwiatowa 1, Tel. 3489.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 96-100 Skierniewicw, ul. Pomdogicrna 10.
The date of      The earliest known Jewish community was 1793. 1921 Jewish population was 1048. The Orthodox cemetery was established in the 19th century with last burial between 1939 and 1945. Landmarked in Feb 1981, the isolated urban flat land has no signs but has Jewish symbols on the gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with a non-locking gate surround. The size of the cemetery is.3 ha. No stones are visible. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns unused site. Properties adjacent are residential. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WW II. The walk and gate were fixed in 1985. Individuals occasionally clean the cemetery now. There are no structures. If there is a caretaker, he is paid by donations. No threats.
Pawet Fijatkowski, Sochacrew Ziemowita 11, Tel. 22791 completed survey on June 26, 1991 after a visit to the site. His private archives were used as documentation.
Last Updated on Monday, 05 October 2009 13:52