JASTROWIE: Wielkopolskie Print

Coat of arms of Jastrowie

Alternate names: Jastrowie [Pol], Jastrow [Ger], Yastrova. 53°25' N, 16°49' E, 70 miles N of Poznań (Posen), 19 miles N of Piła. Jewish population: 254 (in 1895).  Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, pp. 496-497: "Jastrowie". The town of approximately 9,000 inhabitants in Zlotow County, Greater Poland Voivodship has 8,900 inhabitants (1998) and on the edge of the Gwda River valley. The town is located on the Oska stream.  When the first Jews settled in Jastrow is unknown, but by 1771 a Jewish community existed. Until the mid-19th century, Jewish population increased gradually: 1788-254, 1849-509. The Jewish cemetery and synagogue existed, but since the second half of the 19th century, Jewish population declined as many Jews had left to emigrate in search of a better life. In 1937, 125 Jews remained in Jastrow. Nazis destroyed them, many victim to repression before the outbreak of WWII. Kristalnacht. Those remaining were deported to camps by the Nazis.  Most survived the war. The abandoned cemetery on ul. Kilińskiego contains a few dozen tombstones.  Ryszard Mikietyński to his "Koszalińsko-Kołobrzeskiego" (number 20/738 of 14 May 2006) describes the current state of the cemetery: "Old Jastrow Jewish cemetery is not the place of burial seen today. The area is overgrown; some gravestones are overturned and on others are outrageous drawings. Someone, however, visited the graves as proven by dried flowers, but also on monuments pebbles, the symbol of the presence of Jews who pray at the graves of their ancestors." photos. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE00406

Located in region Pila at 53º25N 16º47E, 25 km from Pila. The cemetery is located in the N part of town near the railroad. Present town population is 5000-25000 with no Jews.

  • Town: City of Jastrowie; mgr. Roman Chwaliszewski, region Konservator, Zabytkow 64-920 Pila ul. Tezewska 1. tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Stuiba Ochrony Zabytkow w Pile; mgr. Barbara Lucsynska; address and tel. as above.
  • Interested: mgr. Marek Fijstowski, Museum Obregone, 64-920 Pila ul. Chopina 1 tel. 271-37.

The earliest known Jewish community existed in 1610. The synagogue was erected in the 17th century; a new one built in 1867 lasted until 1938. The Progressive-Reform Jewish cemetery was established mid-18th century. The isolated suburban hillside is landmarked: register of monuments of Pila No. A-536 as of August 8, 1986. Access off a public road is open to all with no wall, gate, or structures. Before WWII and now the size is 0.74 hectare. 20 to 100 gravestones, with 1 to 20 not in original locations and less than 25% are toppled or broken date from 1856 to 20th century. The stones, Hebrew and/or German inscribed, are granite and sandstone, some flat-shaped, some double, some with carved relief decoration. The municipality owns property used only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural and commercial/industrial. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, Jewish and non-Jewish private visitors. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Non-Jewish individuals and groups attempted to clean stones and remove vegetation in 1986. Presently, the cemetery has no care. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing the graves; security, erosion and vandalism are serious threats.

Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, Tel. 377-41 completed this survey on August 13, 1991 after visiting the site on August 10, 1991. Cemetery pages served as sources.

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 13:39