Alternate names: Jasło [Pol], Yasla [Yid], Jaslau [Ger], Yaslo. 49°45' N, 21°28' E, 28 miles SE of Tarnów, 32 miles SW of Rzeszów. Jewish population: 934 (1880), 2,445 (1921). Yizkors:Toldot yehudei Jaslo; me-reshit hityashvutam be-tokh ha-ir ad yemei ha-hurban al yedei ha-natsim..
CEMETERY: Located in Ulica Florjanska, opposite house at No. 85. It is well groomed. A new memorial recalls the Holocaust. We could not find the sign of the former WWI military graves. Source:
and see reference to WWI cemetery in Introduction to Poland
US Commission No.POCE00724
Pronounced "Jaswo". Located in region Krosno at 49º44N 21º28E, 19 km from Krosno. The cemetery is located on Florianska Street. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community existed before 1463. 1921 Jewish population was 2445. Orthodox and Progressive-Reform used the isolated urban flat land. Access off a public road is entirely closed with a plaque in Polish referring to Jews and with Jewish symbols on gate or wall. A continuous masonry wall and a locked gate surround. Before WWII and now it is.33 ha. in size. 20 to 100 gravestones, not in original locations with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th and 20th centuries. The location of removed stones is unknown. The marble, granite, sandstone and concrete some smooth and inscribed, some flat with carved relief decorations, some sculpted stones of all shapes have Hebrew and Polish inscriptions There are marked and unmarked mass graves and special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no structures. The municipality owns property used only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are residential. Occasionally, Jewish and non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. The gate was repaired and local/municipal authorities cleaned stones and removed vegetation. Vegetation disturbing the graves is a constant problem, weather erosion a moderate threat, security and pollution a slight threat.
Piotr Antoniak, ul. Dobrei 5m 36, 05-800, Przuszkow completed survey Sept. 11, 1992, after visit on Sept. 1.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 13:31|