You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland JASLISKA: Podkarpackie
JASLISKA: Podkarpackie PDF Print E-mail

Since the Middle Ages, Jaśliska had little Jewish settlement. Only in 1848 were Jews allowed freely to purchase homes in the city and participate in commercial activities. In the late 1930s, about 300 Jews lived there. During WW II, the Nazis shot some of them at the top of the slope Błudnej near Barwinka. Others were transported to labor camps. Few survived. photos. [May 2009]

CEMETERY: Established in 1883 and functioning until WWII, sharing in the devastation in the local cemetery was the miller, who used the gravestones for building the dam at the mill. Gravestones, more or less destroyed, languished in shallow water or on land beside Bełcze stream south of the village to the left of the road to Lipowiec, about two hundred and fifty yards from the cemetery. This changed in 2005 when Jaśliska voluntarily created "Magurycz" to deal with the cemeteries. These young people, without any support and with very hard work, rescued the gravestones, patching, and carried them to the warehouse in Posadzie Jaśliskiej. With the help of Rabbi Zelig Avrasima, they translated inscriptions on the matzevot. Maguryczanie intends to complete the work begun. Simon Modrzejewski, the group's founder said, "The municipality is planning the construction of Dukla Lapidarium, which will be hold the gravestones. We believe, however, that the graves should return to the cemetery. This will not be easy, since the land the cemetery is now in private hands; and the municipal office will not settle this matter. We asked for help from the Jewish Heritage Protection Foundation and hope they will help. In 2006, NGK Magurycz, thanks to funding from the Region in Transition, RITA, will continue to work." The further fate of tombstones awaits. They suggest a symbolic return to the matzevot to the cemetery, set along the border. At the end of June and July 2006 volunteers MAGURYCZA dokończyli begun work in the area: młynówki [?] and dams and sought matzevot in the lower Bełczy. This operation saved four matzevot and five fragmentsTheir most recent report follows: "Jaśliskiego cemetery gravestones were used by the local miller for the construction of a dam on the creek Bełcze after 1943. Last year gravestones from the edge of the brook and river, most of them, were put in a warehouse in Posadzie Jaśliskiej by the Town and Municipality Dukla. Some remained in the foundation of the dam. The operation resulted in saving four wholly-preserved, good condition matzevot and 5 fragments.... Most of the tombstones bear clear traces of polychrome. All of these  have been mechanically and chemically cleaned and secured with due diligence. These were not in a particularly favorable conditions due to abundant rainfall, high water on the Bełczy. At some point, the gravestones were under water, but this oes not prevent us from exploring.  Of course,  the documentation of the work has a particular focus on inscriptions, which we hope will soon be translated and the gravestones were moved to that storage. It is worth emphasizing thatJaślisk residents are receptive to our efforts, particularly popular. Unfortunately, relations with the Office of the City and Municipality Dukla I cannot write are the same even with the work of this office last year. The problem is not so much lack of interest as a difference of opinion on the future of matzevot. We continue to believe that they should return to the cemetery. The problem lies in the fact that the cemetery remains in private hands! That's not all, at this time indications are that the area of the cemetery was larger than thought, which means that house No. 146 stands on it, rather than next to it! The idea to place the gravestones around the pole of the chapels on the 17th century "kurhanie Swedish" in Jaśliska felt from the beginning (I believe) ill-fated. Gravestone - as the name suggests - should be above the grave. Our position is consistent with the position of the rabbi and the Jewish Heritage Protection Foundation [Fundacji Ochrony Dziedzictwa Żydowskiego], of which we have been notified by post. For the time being, all that remains to do is to wait for the restoration of the status of the cemetery. Indeed, it was the lapidarium idea not existing in the vicinity of the dam that is about 150 meters from the cemetery would be a last resort because the law possibly will settle this matterin good will. Moreover, the search for matzevot in the water of the Bełczy dam and Daliowa dam unfortunately is without success. In view of the fact that transport matzevot finished on Monday afternoon the rest of the time we decided to devote five nagrobkom at the cemetery in greckokatolickim Daliowa. ... also learned that the local school teachers want help the students deal with the cemetery. Volunteers: Katarzyna Brol, Ryszard Babiasz, Weronika Grygowicz, Jakub Leja, Filip Modrzejewski, Aneta Szeliga, Mariusz Zięba, Izabela Wota. Volunteers: Katarzyna Brol, Ryszard Babia, Veronica Grygowicz, Jakub Leja, Filip Modrzejewski, Aneta Szeliga, Mariusz Zięba, Izabela Wota. Mariana Zielonki and M.r Krzysztofa (both of Jaślisk) transported the gravestones to the warehouse. photos and list of found gravestone inscriptions. photos of gravestones. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000723

The town is located at 49º27 N 21º98 E in region Krosnienskie, 42 km from Krosno. Cemetery is located S of village on the road to Lipowiec, 800 meters from the Market Square. Present town population is under 100 with no Jews.

  • Town: Jaczelnik (head of the village) at Urzad Miasta i Gminy, 38-450, Dukla tel. 159, telex 65216.
  • Local: Wojevoolski Konservator Zobyilov -mgr. Alojzy, Cobatoi, ul. Bieszroaolzka 1, 38-400 Krosno. Also see Baligrod.

1921 Jewish population was 224. Used by Orthodox Jews, the isolated rural hillside is reached by turning off a public road. Access is open to all with no wall or fence. No gravestones are visible. Some removed stones were incorporated into roads or structures; others were used to fix the stream's banks. A private individual owns cemetery used for agriculture; the boundaries are unknown. Properties adjacent are also agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII with no maintenance today.

Pietr Antonicek, al Docroi 5m 36, 05-800 Praszkon visited site August 7, 1992 and completed survey October 10, 1992. Wojcieck Krakar, Posada Gorna 254, 38-521 Rymanow Zdroj was interviewed.

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 13:09
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution