JANOWO: Warmińsko-Mazurskie Print

53°19' N 20°40', 75.0 miles N of Warszaw. photos. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000461

Janowo is located in region Olszynskie, 53º19N 20º40E, 72km from Olsztyn. The cemetery is located at ul. Dsietova. The present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, ul. Przemynova 14, 13-113 Janowo, tel. 16.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojewodski w Olsztynie, Wychiat Gospodarzie Terenowej, ul. Pilsudslwego H9, tel. 232-276, 10-959 Olsztyn and Panstwowa Stuiba Ochrony, Zabytkow Oddzewt w Olsztynie, ul. Podvale 1, te. 21-21-36, 10-076 Olsztyn. Interested: mgr. Wiktor Krener, Panstwowa Struiba Ochrony Zabytkow w Olsztynie and mgr. inz Elzbieta Szyguta.

The earliest known Jewish community dates from 17th-18th century. 1862 Jewish population was 629. The cemetery was established in the 18th c. with the last known Orthodox or Progressive-Reform Jewish burial in late 1930's. Landmarked: Register of Monuments of the voivodship of Olsztyn. The isolated rural flat land, reached by turning directly off a public road, has no wall or gate. Access is open to all. It was and is about 0.25 hectares. 1 to 20 granite or sandstone rough stones or boulders, in original locations with less than 25% broken or toppled, date from 19th-20th c. No known mass graves or structures. Used as a Jewish cemetery only, the property is owned by the municipality. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Tarely, local residents or private visitors stop. Occasionally, authorities clear or. Security is a moderate problem; vandalism and weather erosion a slight threat.

Wiktor Krener, 10-685, ul Barna 33m16, tel. visited site and completed survey in September 1991. City and parish documents from the Olsztyn district, 1976, were used. Other existent documents were inaccessible.

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 11:17