Alternate names: Jarosław [Pol], Yaroslav [Yid], Jaroslau [Ger], Jaroslav, Yereslev, ירוסלב-Hebrew,יאַרעסלאָוו -Yareslov [Yiddish], Ярослав [Ukranian]. 50°01' N, 22°41' E, 50 miles WNW of L'viv (Lvov), 17 miles NNW of Przemyśl (Pshemishl). 1900 Jewish population: 4,820. Yizkor: Sefer Yaroslav: gal-'ed le-zekher 'irenu... (Tel Aviv, 1978). JOWBR burial list: Jewish Cemetery. ShtetLink. The town in SE Poland with 40,167 inhabitants in 2008 in the Subcarpathian Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Przemyśl Voivodeship (1975-1998) is the capital of Jarosław County. Jewish history. Holocaust information. [May 2009]
For many years, Jarosław Jews buried their dead in the cemetery in Przemysl. The Jarosław cemetery was established in 1699 year and began operation a year later when the Sejm of the Four Lands approved. Outside the city on the current Kruhel Pełkińskiej street, the land was purchased from jarosławski Roman Catholic parish. The chevra kadisha existed before 1774 in the independent religious community of Jaroslaw and was the first charity organization of the local Jewish population. The mortuary was built to house the kahal in Jaroslaw, by Adolf Julius Strisower. In 1741, the well was excavated for the ritual purposes. Buried here are tzaddik Zahorie Mendel and his successor Menachem Zewa;and in 1850, Simon Elbauma Marylesa, the famous student of the "seer of Lublin", another local leader of the Chasidiim,and author of several works about kabalist textsj. In 1869, when anti-Semitic riots erupted, the city cemetery was damaged. Another much more serious destruction occurred during WWII by a Nazi 1941 order to dismantle the wall and the mortuary house and to use the gravestones for road construction near the cemetery and to pave the yard of the Benedictine Sisters Convent, then converted to Gestapo use. The marble monuments were exported to Germany and used for construction. Dozens of gravestones, or fragments surviving today in the cemetery mostly come from the early 20th century.Usually sandstone in traditional gravestone form with typical Jewish symbolsof sepulchre art depicting among other things: lions relief ( Markus Sontag d. 1908 and Abraham Aron Blata d.1899) , arks with holy books (Zewa Israel d. 1902), crowns (Joszny Sztrausa d. 1923 and Markus Metzger d. 1902), jars (Icchak Bekalena d. 1920) or candlesticks on graves of women (a double for Rosa Emilia Forst, d. 1913). In recent years, ohel for tzaddik Simon Elbaum was built. Jewish Heritage Foundation [Fundacji Ochrony Dziedzictwa Żydowskiego] created the road enabling access to the cemetery. The site will be fenced. history. photos. [May 2009]
MASS GRAVE: The Nazis buried dozens of murdered Jews In the cemetery including thirty six people murdered on August 1, 1943--the familyof Wólce Pełkińskij Amadów found by the Germans on the farm of Simon Fołty. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000143
Located in Przemysl province SE Poland on railroad, 16 miles N Przemysl, 31 km from Przemysl and 52 km from Rzeszow at 50º02 N 22º42 E. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was at the beginning of the 17th century. The Jewish population was 6577 (1921) and 6272 (1931). The cemetery, established in 1700, was used by Orthodox Jews, perhaps Hasidic. Significant names include the father of R.Levi Icchak (no grave marker present) and Shimon Maryles, who died in 1850. Last burial was 1943. The landmarked cemetery is located in Kruhel Patkinski: isolated suburban, flat land with no marker or sign. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with wall, fence, or gate. The cemetery was and is about 2.1952 ha. 20 to 100 gravestones, 1 to 20 in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1840 to 20th century. One stone is in the Muzeum Miejskie; and others were incorporated into roads or structures in the city and neighborhood. Vegetation overgrowth is seasonal problem, disturbing graves. Surrounding areas are agricultural and residential. The limestone or sandstone, flat shaped, finely smoothed have Polish and Hebrew inscriptions. Some have carved relief decoration. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns closed cemetery, rarely visited by local residents. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII with no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security, vegetation and vandalism represent moderate threats, with weather erosion a slight threat.
Jan Pawet Woronczek, Sandomierska 2.1 m.1 02-567 WARSZAWA tel. 49-54-62 completed survey October 10, 1991. Documents from 1890 were used. The site was visited August 1990 by J. Pawt Woronczek, Jery Woronczek, Anna Kisne, Robert Kaskow, Marcin Wodrinski.
REFERENCE: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 47
Photos by Charles Burns [March 2016]
|Last Updated on Friday, 04 March 2016 23:29|