Alternate names: Jarocin [Pol], Jarotschin [Ger]. 51°58' N, 17°31' E, 39 miles SE of Poznań (Posen), 28 miles NW of Kalisz, 13 miles WNW of Pleszew (Pleschen). Jewish population: 435 in 1871 and 52 in 1939. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, pp. 452-453: "Jarotschin". A town in central Poland with 25,700 inhabitants in 1995 in the Greater Poland Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Kalisz Voivodeship (1975-1998). [May 2009]
Jarocin Jewish Cemetery located at ul. Poznańskiej at Poznan University of Technology can be found on the military map of Jarocin environs from 1934. The first doon cumentatiof its existence was the second half of the 18th century. During WW II, the cemetery was destroyed. Only a few fragments of the gravestones remain. In the 1980s, activists of the Social Care of Cemeteries and Monuments of Jewish Culture planned unveiling a memorial plaque, but these plans never came to fruition. photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No.POCE00472
Located in Poznan province, 38 miles SSE of Poznan (62 km SSE of Poznan) at 51º58N 17º31E, Jarocin is a manufacturing center on a rail junction with castle ruins. The cemetery is located on Pozmanska St., at the outskirts of town near the forest district administration house. Present town population is 5000-2500 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community existed before 1686, although the 15th century synagogue before 1686 was mentioned. The 1946 population was 11,818 [sic]. 1931 Jewish population was 113. In 1691, the Council of Greater Poland Jewish Communities was held here. Edward Lasker lived here. A Progressive-Reform Jewish community used the unlandmarked cemetery, its date of establishment and boundaries unknown. The isolated suburban, flat land adjacent to forest, off a public road is open to all with no wall or fence, gate or structures. Vegetation overgrowth is probably a problem. In case of earthworks [sic] eventually still-existing graves could be damaged. The property, 0.6 hectare, owned by the municipality, is now used as forest with no care. There are no threats except the forest. There are no stones visible although there is some trace of axial composition [sic]. The cemetery probably was vandalized during World War II.
Micha Witwicki, Dembowsliejc 12/53, tel. 6418345, 02-784 Warszawa (Warsaw) completed survey. Micha and Eleanora Bergman visited the site 16 October 1991.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 11:38|