Alternate names: Jarczów [Pol], Yartchovka [Yid], Yarchuv [Rus], Russian: Ярчув. יארצ'וב-Hebrew. 50°25' N, 23°36' E, 8 miles ESE of Tomaszów Lubelski. 1900 Jewish population: ~200. Yizkors: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, pp. 447-448: "Jarczów". Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, pp. 447-448: "Jarczów". The village in Tomaszów Lubelski County, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland is the seat of theadministrative district called Gmina Jarczów. The village population is 876. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000473
Located in region Kaliskie province at 51º58' and 17º18', 56 km SE of Poznan. The cemetery location is near Gostyuska St. in SW part of town. Present town population is 5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was about 1700. 1921 Jewish population was 21. The Progressive/Reform community probably used the unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign. Reached by turning off a dirt road, access is open to all with no fence or gate. The size of the cemetery before WWII and now is about 0.13 ha. No gravestones are visible but one stone with Hebrew inscriptions was found near the monument to the victims of WWII at Gostyuska St. There are no known mass graves or structures. The unvisited cemetery is currently used for agriculture, as are adjacent areas. It was vandalized during WWII. There is no maintenance. No threats.
Michal Witwicki, Dembowskiego 12/53, 02784 Warszawa, phote 6418345, completed this survey, on Nov. 10, 1991. Elenora Berjonia visited the site Oct. 16, 1991? Witioicki. Mr. Tadeusz Lidler, 10 Jarocinska St., App 2 tel. 3102 was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 02:57|