|JANOW SOKOLSKI: Podlaski|
Alternate names: Janów [Pol], Yanov and אנוב סוקולסקי [Yid], Yanuv and Янув [Rus], Janów Sokolski, Yanov Sokolski, Yanova. 53°28' N, 23°14' E, 23 miles N of Białystok, 12 miles ESE of Sokółka. There are 36 localities named 'Janów' in Poland. 1900 Jewish population: 1,797.
CEMETERY: 2007 description, directions, and photos: "The cemetery is completely surrounded by agricultural fields, though a small forest area remains at the southern edge. The cemetery covers approximately 2 acres, mostly open and grassy, and visible from the road (Images 1-3). The sign that once warned against grazing on this area (see Bagnowka gallery) is no longer present, but a tall concrete beam that once held the cemetery gate still stands (Image 4). 157 matzevoth, most in situ, were counted, most boulder-style (Images 5-6), though support beams are present. Additionally, numerous mounds that may cover matzevoth or supports are also present. Many matzevoth are covered with moss or lichen (Image 7). The greatest threats are from possible encroaching agricultural fields and erosion of inscriptions due to weather." [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000110
Alternate name: Janowa (Yiddish). Janow Sokolski is located in region Bialystok at 53º28 23º14. The cemetery is located in N part of town, road to Kuplisk. 1991 population: 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1720. 1921 Jewish population was 1027. Living here were Rabbi Nisan Perlsztajn, Jehoszua Kralusz and Rabbi Zalman Kiosowksi. The last known Orthodox, Conservative, or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial was in 1941. Surrounding villages of up to 10 km used this isolated flat rural cemetery. A sign in Polish reads "Attention! Animal grazing in the cemetery is forbidden by law." Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall, or gate. Before World War II, the cemetery occupied 2.0 hectares, now 1.0 hectares. The size has diminished as a result of agriculture and post-war destruction. 100 and 500 gravestones in original location with fewer than 20 not in original position are 25% and 50% toppled or broken. The gravestones date from 1820-19th century. The limestone, slate, and concrete rough stones with traces of painting on their surfaces have Hebrew inscriptions. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance.
Tomasz Wisniewski, ul. Bema 95/99, Bialystok, Tel:212-46 completed survey on 10/08/1991. He visited in 1989 and 1990.
http://www.zchor.org/janow.htm [June 2005].
|Last Updated on Sunday, 24 June 2012 14:53|