You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland JANOW CSESTOCHOWSKI: śląskie
JANOW CSESTOCHOWSKI: śląskie PDF Print E-mail

1765 census recorded 623 Jews in Czestochowa Janowie. In 1791, 466 people lived in Janowie, but the number of Jews is unknown. Jews were the vast majority in 1900 and 1933. Photos. [May 2009]

UPDATE: A large cemetery enclosed by a beautiful wall erected by former Janow resident, Jack Salzberg. I took digital jpgs, about 800K each, of all stones with any characters visible (about 35). Source: Daniel Kazez on JewishGen Digest. [May 2002]

US Commission No. AS 132

Isbica [sic] is located at 50º43' N 19º26'W, about 25 km from Czestochowa in Czestochowa province. The cemetery is on KościuszkiStreet (N part of town). Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy ul.Czestochowska, tel. 19.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow Aleksander Brods 42-217 Czestochowa ul Domegalskich 2 tel. 49-745 (or it might be 245).

The earliest known Jewish population was 17th or 18th century. In the 18th century, Janow was a kahal center for a large part of the country including Czestochowa. Czestochowa used the Orthodox cemetery in the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries. Landmarked: (401/86). The isolated urban flat land has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with a locked gate surrounds it. The cemetery is about 1.2 ha in size. 1-20 gravestones in original position with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 1795 to 20th century. The limestone finely smoothed and inscribed or flat stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns site. Property adjacent is residential. Frequently, local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or structures. Security and vandalism are moderate threats, while weather erosion and pollution are slight threats.

Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Street 21m1, 02-567 Warszawa tel. 49-54-62, completed this survey November 29, 1991. Woronczak and Jeny Woronczak visited the site in 1986.

 

Photographs by Daniel Kazez

 

Last Updated on Friday, 03 July 2009 18:27
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution