Alternate names: Jadów [Pol], Yadov [Yid], Yaduv [Rus], Yadove, Jadovo, Russian: Ядув. יאדאוו-Yiddish. 52°28' N, 21°38' E, 31 miles ENE of Warszawa, 19 miles E of Radzymin. 1900 Jewish population: 1,272. Yizkor: Sefer Jadow. (Jerusalem, 1966). Gmina Jadów is a rural gmina (administrative district) in Wołomin County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland. Its seat is the village of Jadów, which lies approximately 30 kilometres (19 mi) north-east of Wołomin and 50 km (31 mi) north-east of Warsaw. The gmina covers an area of 116.87 square kilometres (45.1 sq mi) and as of 2006 its total population is 7,715. [May 2009]
(Yiddish: Yadov) Jewish settlement dates from before 1760 as documented in the continuation of the lease on an inn and for small-scale trade. In 1831, prayer shawls (tallit) were made there. For many years the Jews were a vital part of the community. 1897 Jewish population was 1,272 out of 1,797 residents. In 1885, the synagogue was built and in 1900 the beit midrash. The town had a significant Chassidic following. In the interwar period, Jews actively worked in Jadowie Zionist parties and the Bund. After the outbreak of WWII, part of the Jews fled to the East. Those who stayed were subjected to serious repression. The Jews had to wear armbands with a Mogen David and were not allowed to use the sidewalks. Germans took them to work as forced labor, beaten severely. At the end of 1940, a ghetto was created for local Jews and those from Nasielska, Pułtuska, and Żuromin. Jews had to pay to fence it with barbed wire. Disease and hunger were rampant. In June 1941 in the ghetto held 2,787. The ghetto was liquidated in autumn 1942. First, the Jews were ordered to leave the houses and gather in the square. Kept there for several days, forced to hand over their last valuables, those found in hiding in the city were murdered on the spot. Eventually, Jews were deported to the Treblinka gas chambers. Marian Karczewski in "Can I Forget?" wrote about the last moments of Jadow shtetl: "armed to the teeth, police ordered three-quarters of all the ghetto inhabitants, anticipating who was at home, will be shot. (.. ...) Shots in the ghetto. Police killing all those who left an apartment too slowly, shooting the sick, the elderly, children in cribs, killing with a smile, a bold look, and ... slew in the end for everything - forthe need to murder. The death march from the ghetto in the direction of Lochow, waiting on the freight train siding. Ghetto residents were driven to the gas chambers at Treblinka. ....many dead bodies. Police, from close, shooting anyone .., someone tried to kill two people with one shot. The column reaching the ranks so fast that appeared to function as one body, one whole. Looking at it from above felt like a huge snake crawing in thel road, rolling to the left to right. Every few seconds were new shots and new dead flesh on the cobbles." [May 2009]
CEMETERY: The 19th century cemetery located approximately 1.5 km west of the market in the birch, oak, and pine forest reserve filled with moss near torfowiskowego "Śliże." The cemetery can be reached via Jadów towards Tłuszcza. Rozwidleniem for 150 meters and Sulejów on the left you can see a small, sandy cove. Between 2007 and 2008 in this space was set a stylized matzevot and sign indicating the location of the cemetery. Turn left and walk through a forest diagonally to the right; after about fifty yards, you can see the first gravestone. The old cemetery boundaries are clearly visible, measuring about 50 meters to 150 meters with an entrance from the east. In the cemetery are about a hundred visible gravetones or their fragments with no more than twenty matzevot surviving in its entirety. In the east, near the entrance, the cemetery of predominanntly granite gravestones, almost completely devoid of relief. On the western edge can be found [tumba?] and a few dozen pieces of sandstone pillars, small matzevot with Hebrew letters and one characteristic of Jewish art decoration. Despite the damage described above, the graves are separated into old and new parts. photos. video [May 2009]
MASS GRAVE: Mass grave of about six hundred Jews murdered by the Nazis during the liquidation of the ghetto. Karczewski Marian recalled: "From Ghetto cars were loaded with those who did not hurry to leave. Feet, hands, head - you could see that they cast the body in a hurry. In the Jewish cemetery, where the Nazis excavated huge mass graves (..). for near six hundred dead bodies in the mass grave at the Jewish cemetery. After a few months, however, Germans concerned about decomposition of the bodies, removed them somewhere [Hungary?], and burned them." The outline of the mass grave after the war marked a low concrete wall. Inside are several destroyed granite matzevot and two symbolic tombs, bearing traces of [plądrowania]. On one of them are the words: "Berta and Rubin Berensztejn. In memory of my parents murdered by the Nazis in 1942." Henryk Grynberg, Polish-American writer, poet and playwright, who spent the Holocaust hiding in the nearby Radoszyny, after the war visited the cemetery. This is probably the burial place of his younger brother, shot by the Germans in one of the courtyards in the market. After a visit to the cemetery in Jadowie Grynberg wrote a poem, entitled "Pine in Jadowie."
information and photos of the town in the SE part of the Wolominska Plain on the Liwiec and Osownica Rivers, road 629 (Wyszkow-Minsk Mazowiecki) and the Warsaw-Bialystok railway line. Jadow dates back to the turn of the fourteenth century. [October 2005]
US Commission No. POCE000568
Alternate Yiddish name: Yadow. Jadow is located in Siedlechie province at 52º2921º38, 9 km from Lochow and 60 km from Warsaw. The cemetery is located in 2 km from Jadow by the road to Wolomin. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no current Jewish population.
Town officials: Urzad Gminy, Jadow. Interested: Wojwodzki Konserwator Zabytkow Siedlce, ul. Zbrojna 3, tel. No. 394-58. Maria Wydzga, Warszawa, ul. Zawrat 21 and Stanislaw Marianski, Prezes Stowarzyszenia Mitosnikow Urli (Chairman of the Association of Friends of Urli).
1921 Jewish population was 1492. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known burial before WWII. The cemetery is the conservator's concern. The isolated wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery has surrounded by a broken masonry wall and no gate. The size today and before WWII was 0.6 hectare. 1-20 stones, in original position with fewer than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. The oldest known gravestone is probably second half of the 19th century. The granite and sandstone rough stones/boulders, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or stones with carved relief decoration have Yiddish inscriptions. No known mass graves. Municipality owns site. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No current care or structures. In the 1960's, a lastzica [type of concrete] gravestone was put on the symbolic grave for Berta and Rubin Bernesztein killed by the Nazis in 1942. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing stones.
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed this survey on 24 Oct 1992. He used a 1981 documentation by Maria Wydzga, available in the conservator's office in Siedlce. He visited the site on 24 Oct 1992 and interviewed Marian Jakubik, Wegrow on 20 Oct 1992.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 06 January 2013 14:45|