INOWLODZ: łódzkie Print

 

Coat of arms of Inowłódz

51°32' N, 20°13' E, 35 miles ESE of Łódź, 25 miles ENE of Piotrków Trybunalski. 1900 Jewish population: 324. Gmina Inowłódz is a rural administrative district in Tomaszów Mazowiecki County, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland. Its seat is the village of Inowłódz, 15 km (9 mi) E of Tomaszów Mazowiecki and 60 km (37 mi) SE of the regional capital Łódź. The gmina 2006 population was 3,879. The village population was 795. The first documentation of Jews in Inowłódz was in 1537. The number of Jews declined until the 18th century when Jews began to settle again. Since the end of the 19th century, the village was a popular vacation place for Jews from neighboring towns. Over the centuries, the Jewish population remained approximately 30% of the population. Over 500 Jews lived here shortly before the outbreak of WWII, but very few survived the Holocaust. The synagogue building for many years after WWII stored fertilizer and later served a library and now is a shop. Some old polychrome paint remains on the walls. yizkor.  [May 2009]

CEMETERY: Established in the early 19th century and located near chalcedon mining quarries, the cemetery was destroyed during WWII. In 1996, around seventy matzevot remained, the oldest dating from 1875. Unfortunately, the number of matzevot decreases every year. Inowłódz and Jewish community history can be found hereWe Remember Jewish Inowłódz! has a comprehensive translation of the "Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Poland and an inventory of surviving tombstones. photos. photos. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000662

Inowlodz is located in Piotrkow at 51º.32 20º13, 16 km from Tomaszow Maz and 29 km from Rawa Maz. The cemetery is located at W of the town. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town officials: Urzad Gminy, ul. Spalska 2; tel. 101186.
  • Regional officials: region Konserwator Zabytkow Piotrkow, ul. Armii Czerwonej 29; tel. 5646.

1921 Jewish population was 408. The unlandmarked Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established in probably 1831.

The isolated wooded hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, gate or fence. The approximate size of cemetery is now 0.7 ha hectares. 20 to 100 sandstone flat shaped stones or finely smoothed Hebrew inscribed stones, few in original location, date from 17 Jul 1831 to 20th century. Some have portraits on stones. No known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns property is now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are forest. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery has been vandalized during World War II. There has been no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism.

Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21m.1, 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 9 Nov 1991. The site was not visited.

REFERENCE: They Lived Among Us: Polish Judaica, a travel brochure: Arline Sachs, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

REFERENCE: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 75

Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 22:01