You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland JARCZOW: Lubelskie
JARCZOW: Lubelskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Jarczów [Pol], Yartchovka [Yid], Yarchuv [Rus], Russian: Ярчув. יארצ'וב-Hebrew. 50°25' N, 23°36' E, 8 miles ESE of Tomaszów Lubelski. 1900 Jewish population: ~200. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, pp. 447-448: "Jarczów". Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, pp. 447-448: "Jarczów". This village in Tomaszów Lubelski County, Lublin Voivodeship, in eastern Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Jarczów.The village population is 876. The date of Jewish settlement is unknown. In 1863, the town population of 231 of whom 203 were Jews. A wooden synagogue existed. Most Jews engaged in petty trading or crafts. 250 lived there In the interwar years. At the end of September 1939 (Erev Yom Kippur) the Germans occupied Jarczow and immediately attacked and rounded them up for slave labor. On May 22nd, 1942, these Jews were deported to the extermination camp at Belzec.[May 2009]

The Jewish cemetery at ul. 3 Maja was established in 19th century and closed in 1943. Located in southern part of the settlement near the meadows, for many years the cemetery has been private property for agricultural use. Some earthworks are left, fencing, and one matzeva fragment. [May 2009]

Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2009 02:50
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution