|GRYFINO: West Pomeranian|
Alternate names: Greifenhagen [Ger]. 53°15' N 14°29' E, 280.9 miles WNW of Warszawa. A town in Pomerania, NW Poland with 22,500 inhabitants in 2004, it is also the capital of Gryfino Powiat in West Pomeranian Voivodeship (since 1999), previously in Szczecin Voivodeship (1975-1998).The town on the Odra Wschodnia (Reglitz), the eastern branch of the Oder river is about 20 km Sof the Pomeranian capital of Szczecin (Stettin). The western branch of the Oder, 2 km away, marks the border to Germany since 1945. A straight road connects Gryfino with the German town of Mescherin across the two rivers. Jews here also used the cemetery in Szczecin and Szczecin II.
US Commission No. POCE000200
Alternate German name: Greifenhagen. Gryfino is in gm. loco in region Szczecin at 53º18 14º38, 18km from Szczecin. The cemetery is located in Gryfino, 74-100. Present population is 5,000-25,000, with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was around 1850 (possibly in 1844). The Jewish population as of the last census before WWII was 1800 to 2000. The Jewish cemetery was established about 1860 or possibly in 1876 with last known Jewish burial around 1940. Communities around Gryfino used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Access, directly off a public road, is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII and now is approximately 0.12 ha. No stones remain. There are no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the cemetery used for recreation (park, playground, and sports field), storage, and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely (?) private visitors (?) and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance or care. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Dr. Alojzy. Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B, tel. 73-44-46, 73-110 Stargard, on October 18, 1991 completed survey after a visit on October 15, 1991. Dr. Kowalczyk used Karta Cmentarza, Gryfino IV, 1989r and interviewed local residents.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 19:07|