Alternate names: Greifenberg, Greifenberg in Pommern. 53°54' N 15°12' E, 266.1 miles WNW of Warszawa. A town in Pomerania, NW Poland with 16,737 inhabitants in 2006, it is the capital of Gryfice Gmina in West Pomeranian Voivodeship (since 1999), previously in Szczecin Voivodeship (1975-1998). Gryfice Powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in West Pomeranian Voivodeship, NW Poland on the Baltic shore. Launched on January 1, 1999 as a result of the Polish local government reforms passed in 1998, its administrative seat and largest town is Gryfice 69 km (43 mi) NE of the regional capital Szczecin. The county also contains the towns of Trzebiatów, 17 km (11 mi) N of Gryfice, and Płoty, 13 km (8 mi) S of Gryfice. The 393.1 sq mi gmina had a 2006 total population of 60,773, out of which the population of Gryfice is 16,702, that of Trzebiatów is 10,113, that of Płoty is 4,142, and the rural population is 29,816. Little is known about the history of Jews in Gryfice. According to Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, Jewish residents were first mentioned in 1692 years. In 1752 the city had seven Jewish families. In 1880 the Jewish community was 146 people with a cemetery and synagogue. Thereafter, the number of Jews declined to 68 people in 1933. In May 1939, only 22 Jews lived in Gryfice and five people of mixed marriages. [May 2009]
CEMETERY: Completely destroyed, the gravestones were used to build Wall Street. Broniszewskiej. photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000199
Alternate German name: Greifenberg. The cemetery is located in gm. loco, region Szczecin at 54º02 15º02. [The distance of the town from larger towns is "loco".] Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was around 1856 (possibly in 1836). The Jewish population as of the last census before WWII was approximately 1200. The landmarked Jewish cemetery was established in approximately 1850(?) with last known Jewish burial around 1939 (possibly 1944). The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Access, directly off a public road, is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII was approximately 0.25 ha. No stones remain. The municipality owns the property now for recreation (park, playground, and sports field). Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely to occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance or care. Incompatible nearby development (existing) is a very serious threat. No threats.
Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, tel. 73-44-40, 73-110 Stargard completed survey on October 12, 1991 after a visit on Oct. 5. Dr. Kowalczyk used Baranowski, J. 1963, Cmentarze zydowskie w wojewodztwie szczecinskim, PP PKZ Warszawa and interviewed local residents.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 18:58|