You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland GRYBOW Siolkowa: Małopolskie
GRYBOW Siolkowa: Małopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Grybów Alternate names: Grybów [Pol], Gribov [Yid], Grünberg [Ger], Gribiv. Hebrew: גריבוב. גריבאוו-Yiddish. 49°38' N, 20°57' E, 56 miles ESE of Kraków, 27 miles S of Tarnów, 10 miles E of Nowy Sącz. Jewish population: 596 in 1880, 908 in 1910. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), II, pp. 881-883: "Grybów" #1.Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 3: Western Galicia and Silesia (Jerusalem, 1984). This town in the Nowy Sącz County in Lesser Poland Voivodeship with 12,409 inhabitants in 2005 is located in the heartland of the Doły (Pits) with its average altitude of370 metres above sea level with some hills located within the confines of the city. Grybów has the steepest town square in medieval Europe photos. [May 2009] See WWI cemetery reference in INTRODUCTION

REFERENCE: They Lived Among Us: Polish Judaica, a travel brochure: Arline Sachs, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

REFERENCE: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 47

US Commission No. POCE000741

G-S is in the voievodship of Nowy Sacz at 49º38 N 20º57 E, 22 km from Nowy Sacz and 19 km from Gorlice. The cemetery is in Grybow-Siolkowa, about 1200 meters from the market square. Present population is 1,000-5,000, with no Jews.

  • Town: Wojt Gminy Grybow [Head of village Grybow], Urzad Gminy, ul. Dzierzynskiego [now probably changed-E.B.], 33-300 Grybow, tel. #502 06.
  • Regional: Konserwator Zabytkow [Conservator of monuments] M. Eng. Zygmunt Lewczuk, ul. Kilinskiego 68, 33-300 Nowy Sacz, tel. #238 38, ext. 234.

The earliest known Jewish community was around 1765. The Jewish population as of the last census before WWII was 847. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. Adjacent villages within a radius of about 15 kilometers also used this unlandmarked Orthodox and Progressive/Reform cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no wall, fence, or gate. Access via turning directly off a private road is open to all. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII and now is 0.35 ha. 20 to 100 stones, in original locations, regardless of condition with 50 to 75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th and 20th centuries. Stones removed were incorporated into roads or structures. The cemetery has no special sections. The marble, granite, sandstone, and concrete finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration, have Hebrew and Polish inscriptions. The cemetery contains special monuments to Jewish soldiers but no known mass graves or structures. The cemetery property is Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Private visitors visit the cemetery rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance or care. Vegetation overgrowth, a constant problem damaging stones, is a very serious threat. Security and weather erosion are serious threats. Vandalism is a slight threat. Vegetation destroys the stones' structure. Tree roots displace the gravestones.

Piotr Antoniak, ul. Dobro, 5 m 36, 05-800 Prwszkow completed survey on September 4, 1992 after a visit on August 11, 1992. See: Bobowa

Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 18:37
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution