|GRODZISKO DOLNE: Wielkopolskie|
photos [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000781
The cemetery is located in Rzeszow at 22º28 by 50º10, 50km north of Rzeszow. Present population is 1,000-5,000, with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population was approximately 400. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 17th century with last known Orthodox or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial 1941. Tryncza and Grochisko Crorne (about 500 m away) also used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Access, directly off a public road, is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery is 500 square meters. No stones remain. Some missing stones are in private collections. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves and no structures. The municipality owns property now for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the cemetery size is the same. Private visitors visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance. No threats. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Natascha Rode, 35-213 Rzeszow, ul. Starzynskiego 5/29 completed survey in June 1992 after a visit the same month. She interviewed Bogumit Pe?pus, Dom Nauawciela ?, 37-306 Grodzisko Dolnbe, Grodzisko Grn. Other documentation does not exist.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 14 June 2009 18:54|