|GRODEK: Podkarpackie, הורודוק, Bialystokie, Грудек, [Horodok, Grudek, Grodek Sokolski]|
Alternate names: Gródek [Pol], Horodok [Yid], Grudki [Pol], Horodok al-yad Bialystok [Heb], Grudek [Rus], Gródek Sokolski, Gródek Białostocki, Russian: Грудек. הורודוק-Yiddish. 53°06' N, 23°40' E, 22 miles E of Białystok, 41 miles S of Grodno, 23 miles SSE of Sokółka on the Supraśl River.
US Commission No. POCE000132
Alternate name: Horodok (Yiddish and Russian). Grodek is located in Bialystok at 53º08 23º09, 55km from Bialystok. The cemetery is located in NW part of town. Present population is 1,000 - 5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1931 Jewish population was 1385. Living here were Rabbi Bernard Rozenblat, Nisan Brojde and Abram Zelig Syjon. The cemetery was established in the early 19th century with last Kobryn & Slonim Orthodox, Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial was 1943. Communities in Michalowo and other local villages up to 15 km away also used the cemetery. The rural forest hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence or gate. Before WWII, the cemetery occupied 0.85 hectares. It currently occupies 0.4 hectares as a result of agriculture. 1 and 20 gravestones visible with less than 25% toppled or broken. Some removed tombstones were incorporated into parts of Smierczewkiego and Michalowska Streets. The oldest known gravestone dates from end of the 19th century. Remaining tombstones date from 19th and 20th centuries. The concrete tombstones have no inscriptions. The municipality owns the cemetery property. Adjacent properties are agricultural. No caretaker. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem disturbing graves. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years.
Tomasz Wisniewski, ul. Bema 95/99, Bialystok, Tel: 212-46 completed survey 10/08/1991. He visited in 1984, 1985, and 1989. Persons interviewed were Nadzieja Dudzik in 1988 at Michalowska 48, Grodek and Siemion Michael of Noah 4, Ramat Aviv, 69050, Israel in 1989.
[Note: In his book Jewish Bialystok on p. 74, Wisniewski states: "... only a few relics of the Jewish cemetery can be found in the northest part of the town, near a Christian cemetery. These include several concrete gravesones as well as the mazevas built into Grodek's roads and sidewalks."]
|Last Updated on Friday, 11 October 2013 02:00|