GOWOROWO: Ostrołęka Print

Alternate names: Goworowo [Pol], Govorova [Yid], Govorovo [Rus], Govorove, Russian: Говорово. Yiddish: גאָוואָראָווע . גובורובה- Hebrew. 52°54' N, 21°34' E, 13 miles S of Ostrołęka, 29 miles SW of Łomża. 1900 Jewish population: 1,844. Yizkor: Goworowo; sefer zikaron. (Tel Aviv, 1966). A village in Ostrołęka County of Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland, it is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Goworowo and is approximately 19 km (12 mi) S of Ostrołęka and 85 km (53 mi) NE of Warsaw. The village population is 820. Goworowo was an entirely Jewish shtetl on the Orz river with close to 500 families. On the Warsaw-Łomża Railroad between the Ostrow-Mazowiecki and Ostrołęka, for many years Goworowo was part of Białystok guberniya. Jews settled in Goworow in the 18th century. The cemetery is located about 60 m from Grodzisko-Pasiek road junction. Established in 19th century, the last burial took place probably in 1940. 1921 Jewish population: 1085. The 1.7 ha cemetery, destroyed during World War II, has 20 matzevot visible in the cemetery. About 200 held by Goworowo Town Council. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000046

Goworowo is located in the province of Ostroleckie, at 52º56 21º36 , 17 km from the town of Rozan; 22 km from the town of Ostroleka; and 126 km from Warszawa. From the marketplace in Ostrokeckie, go along the bridge on the Orz River. Turn left into a cart track about 60 m. before the fork in the roads to Grodush and Parich. Present town population is between 1,000-5,000 people with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gminy, 07-440 Goworowo, tel. 66. Mayor Jan Podles.
  • Regional: Ewa Kawakek, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow Oddz?? Wojewodzki, ul. Ostrokece, Street Pilsudskiego 38, 07-400 Ostroleko, Tel. 66-829. Wojciech Henrykowski, Str. Spotolziekza 20, 06-200 Makow Maz.

The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1921 Jewish population was 1,085. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery, established in the 19th century, was used by Orthodox, Conservative and Progressive/Reform. The last burial was in 1939 or 40. The isolated rural agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property and is open to all with no wall or gate. The cemetery is 1.7 ha. before and after World War II. 1 and 20 gravestones are visible in the cemetery, none in their original location with less than 25% surviving. About 200 removed stones are in the Goworowo community administrative office. The granite and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed, rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decorations date from the 19th century. The inscriptions are Hebrew and Yiddish. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. A private individual owns site for agriculture. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors or local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years with no maintenance since the war. Security is moderate threat. Vandalism is a very serious threat. The cemetery was destroyed during the Second World War. Water drainage is a seasonal problem.

Wojciech Henrykowski, 06-200 Makow Maz Street, Spotolziekza 20 completed survey August 27, 1991. Documentation: collection of Panstwowa Sluzbo Zabytkow wl Ostroleke photographic documentation of the tombstones in the collection of the author.

UPDATE: In 1999; the following details refer to 88 tombstones that we traced near a gasoline station. To the best of our knowledge the cemetery of Goworowo was destroyed during the war. Local or regional individuals interested in site: the local priest (reported by Dr. Zalman Dresner). Tombstones are from 20th century and inscribed in Hebrew. Security and vandalism are moderate concerns. Mr. Shafran has photos. Source: Israel Shafran, 972-4-8263557, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . [17 June 2005]

Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 15:41