Górzno,53°12′N 19°39′E, is a town in Brodnica County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship with 1,369 inhabitants (2006). Jewish cemetery located on Cmentarna Street was established in the beginning of 19th century at the same time the first Jewish settlers arrived inthe town. In second half of 19th century a synagogue was built. In 1880 a considerable immigration of Jews occurred. Today, no fragments of matzevot remain. The area was built over. The cemetery before World War II was 0.83 ha. [May 2009]
US Commission No. AS 123
The town (part of Lidsbark) is located in region Toninskie at 18º45 53º09, 90 km from Toninia. The address of the cemetery is ul. Czemtarna. Present town population is 1,000-5000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was beginning of the 19th century. 1921 (census) Jewish population was 1 person; 1931 was 20. In the 1820's and 1830's were violent developments in the community. In 1858, Gorzno was granted the Statute. In the second half of the 19th century, the synagogue was built. In the 1880's was a sudden Jewish emigration. In 1927, the town was incorporated into the Jewish community of Lidsbark. In the late 1920's, Jews from central Poland emigrated. The Jewish cemetery in Gorzno was established at the beginning of the 19th century. The urban crown of a hill has no sign or marker to note. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before WWII was 0,83 ha. No gravestones are visible. There are no known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns property used for crops and animal grazing. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. No threats listed.
Manena Stocka, 87 100 Tonui, Lyslowskaego (sp) 31 E/185 completed survey on October 10, 1991 after a visit to the site and interviews (name illegible). Possibly a documentation form PPPK2 was used. [Hard to read form]
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 11:36|