GOROWO ILAWECKIE: Warmian-Masurian Print

Coat of arms of Górowo IławeckieAlternate names: Górowo Iławeckie [Pol], Landsberg Ost Preussen [Ger], Landsberg, Landsberg (Ostpreußen), Landsberk, Górowo, 54°17' N, 20°30' E, 30 miles S of Kaliningrad (Königsberg), Russia; 35 miles N of Olsztyn (Allenstein). Jewish population: 77 (in 1884), 22 (in 1933). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), V, p. 74: "Landsberg". A town in Bartoszyce County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, with 4,550 inhabitants (2006). The town  is the smallest municipality (gmina) in geographical extent in Poland. [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000261

Alternate name: Landsberg in German. Gorowo Ilaweckie is located in Mazury region, Olsztynskie at 54º17 20º30, 67 km from the town of Olsztyn. The address of the cemetery is ul. Czerniachowsluego. Present town population is between 1,000-5,000 people with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta; Gminy, ul. Swierczewsluego 24, 11-220 Gorowo Tlawedae, tel: 11-169.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojewodzki w Olsztynie: Wydriat Gospodarki Terenowej, ul. Pitsudskiago 7/9, tel. 232-276. Panstuova Sluzba Ochrony, Zabytkov, Oddziat w Olsztynie, ul. Podwale l., tel. 27-21-36; 10-076 Olsztyn.
  • The key for the cemetery may be found at 10-959 Olsztyn.
  • Interested: 1. Mgr. Wileton Knerer, Pansluova Sluiba Ochrony, Zubytkov, Oddziat w Olsztynie, tel. 27-21-36. 2. Mgr. inz. Elsbieta Szygula, Zielinska, 10-435 Olsztyn, tel. 33-29-22 ul. Switezianki 6/3 or Urzad Wojewodski, Wydriat Gospodarki Terenowej, tel. 232-276.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1828. 1935 Jewish population was 19. The Orthodox and the Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last burial was in the 1930s. Landmarked: "Rejestrr zabytkow wojewodzki Olsztynslaego"-Register of monuments of the voivodship of Olsztyn. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The cemetery is.04 ha. before and after World War II. 1 and 20 gravestones are in original locations, fewer than 25% toppled or broken. Removed stones were incorporated into the Mickiewicza St. pavement. The sandstone and other non-specified stones inscribed in Hebrew and German date from the 19th century. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery receives no maintenance. Vandalism is a moderate threat, while security, incompatible development and vegetation are slight threats.

Wiktor Knerer, 10-685 Olsztyn ul. Barra 33m 16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey in November 1991 after a visit in 1989. Documentation: Frederichs Deutscher Stadcherbuch, Stuttgartt 1934. Other documentation was inaccessible.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 11:32