Alternate names: Golina [Pol, Yid, Rus], Gohlen [Ger, 1940-45], Golin, Gollin, Gohlen am Warthe. Russian: Голина. גולינה- Hebrew. 52°15' N, 18°06' E, 35 miles N of Kalisz, 7 miles WSW of Konin. 1900 Jewish population: 679. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). A town in Konin County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, Poland, with 4,366 inhabitants (2004), 24 km W from Konin, Wielkopolskie Voivodeship. Jewish history. During WWII, the entire Jewish population of Golina was forced to dig their own graves. They were then executed on the spot. 1808 Jewish population: 227 Jews involved in trades and crafts. In 1823 the Jewish kahal formed. Jewish population in 1921: 695. After the outbreak of WWII, Jews were subjected to repression - forced to work for the Third Reich with their property confiscated. On July 17-18, 1940 the Jews were deported to Goliny Zagórów and Grodźca Rzgów, some to the ghettos in Izbica, Józefowie, and Krasnymstawie several months later. Others were shot in the Kazimierza Biskupiego forest. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII and after liberation. In 1948, workers at the Bacutil company dug sewage pits where graves existed, No gravestones remain although several are in the District Museum in Konin. [May 2009]
MASS GRAVE: Jews were shot in the woods near Kazimierza Biskupiego. [May 2009]
CEMETERY: The Jewish cemetery was destroyed during WWII. The devastation continued even after liberation. In the archives of the Jewish Historical Institute are documents concerning the destruction of the cemetery in 1948, when workers at the company Bacutil (sewage), extracted the bones. Today, in the cemetery are no tombstones. Several matzevot are in the District Museum in Konin. photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000704
- Located in woj Konin at 52º1518º06, 13 km from Konin. Cemetery location: 52, 1 Maja Street, by the southern side of the road to Konin in the premises of the recycling factory. Present town population is 5,000 to 25,000 with no Jews.
- Town: Mayor Krzysztof Migdat, Urzad Miasta I Gminy, ul. Nowa 1, Golina. Tel #42 4860.
- Regional: Irena Sobierajska, PSOZ.
- Interested: Eugeniusz Szumanski, Golina, ul. Kolejowa, tel. Golina #10, formerly employed by the recycling factory since its construction during World War II.
- The earliest known Jewish community was the second half of the 14th century. 1938 Jewish population was 1500 persons, 50%. In 1861 there was 656 Jews among 1332 inhabitants. The town of Kazimierz, 5 km away, also used this Orthodox and Progressive/Reform cemetery. Date of last known Jewish burial was 1939. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous fence with a locked gate surrounds the cemetery. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II was 0.43 ha. Present size is 0.20 ha. There are no gravestones in cemetery. 2 pieces of the granite and sandstone tombstones removed from the cemetery are in a museum and a private collection. Municipality owns property now used for industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II. Part of the western side of the cemetery wall was used for walling around the factory. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. There is serious threat to the cemetery from uncontrolled access [contradicts locked as stated above-] and nearby existing development. The factory has built in center of the cemetery, now covered with concrete. The western part is overgrown with forest and quite well preserved. There is high industrial pollution. Storage and disorder are in the preserved western part. Pollution is a moderate threat. There is a slight threat from weather erosion and vegetation.
- Tucja Pawlicka-Nowak, 62-510 Konin, ul. 11 Listopada 15/76. Tel # 43 43 56 completed survey August 26, 1992 after a visit the same day. Literature and interviews were used. Irena Sznycer, Golina, 9, Mickiewicsa Street., Tel #62 590 was interviewed. She gave one saved matseva for the Museum in Konin.