50°29′17″N 18°1′26″E, Jewish cemetery located on Wyzwolenia St. in Gogolin was established in 1862. The last burial was registered in 1945. The area is surrounded by a stone wall. 20 matzevot and visible traces of 100 graves and 50 tombstone foundations. The cemetery is 0.25 ha. The last funeral was held on May 13, 1935 year or according to some in 1945. photos. photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000523
Located in Woj Opolskie. Cemetery location: Ul Wyzwolenia. The town is located at 18 02' º50 30', 20 km from Opole. Present town population is 1,000 to 5,000 with no Jews.
The cemetery was established before 1862 with the last known Progressive/Reform burial May 13, 1935. No other town or villages used this landmarked cemetery: no. 229/89. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Access is open to all. The cemetery adjoins recreational property. Reached by turning directly off a public road, a continuous masonry wall with no gate surrounds it. The approximate size before WWII and now is 0.2 ha. 20 to 100 gravestones in original locations with 50 -75% toppled or broken are limestone and sandstone flat stones with carved relief decoration. The cemetery has no sections or known mass graves. The municipality owns the property is now used for Jewish cemetery only. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. It has not been vandalized in the last ten years. There has been clearing of vegetation and fixing of wall maintenance but no care now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. No threats.
Marcin Wodzinski, Ul Sednosci Narodoneg 187/13, Sd-303, Droctan, ph: 216908 completed this survey May 11, 1992. Wodzinski visited the site on May 5, 1992. No interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 23:33|