Alternate names: Mewe [Ger]. The town situated on the left bank of the Vistula River in the Pomeranian Voivodeship, is located at around 53°50′0″N 18°50′0″E . During World War II the castle was used by Nazi Germany as a relocation camp for the population of Tczew and the surrounding area.
US Commission No. POCE000008
Alternate name: Mewe in German. Gniew is located in Gdansk, at 53º5018º49, 30km from Tczewa. The cemetery is located at ul. 7. Marca. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is 1816. 1931Jewish population was 9. Effecting the Jewish Community were the ban on permanent settlement in 1309; the abolition of that ban in 1808; the building of a house of prayer in 1821; emigration at the end of the 19th century; and extermination of the Jews beginning in 1939. The landmarked (plan of urban development) Hasidic Orthodox cemetery was established in 1821.The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and access is open to all with no wall or gate. The present size of cemetery is 0.30 hectares. The pre-war size of the cemetery is unknown. No gravestones or structures are visible. No mass graves. Municipality owns the rarely visited property. Properties adjacent are industrial. It was vandalized during World War II. There has been no maintenance or care. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access. Water drainage at the cemetery is also a seasonal problem. Security is a serious threat, as are weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism. Pollution is a slight threat.
Dr. Hanna Domanska, ul. Wladyslawa IV 34/3, 81-742 Sopot, tel: 51-04-22 completed survey 19/07/1991. H. Domanska's text, The Tree of Stone Tears; The Jewish Communities of the Gdansk Vovoidship; Their History and Culture. (Gdansk 1991) and the documentation form were used.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 22:39|