Alternate names: Głusk [Pol], Glisk [Yid], Russian: Глуск. גלוסק-Hebrew. 51°11' N, 22°36' E, 5 miles S of Lublin. 1900 Jewish population: ~350. ShtetLink. Głusk is located in Lubelski County, in Lublin Province.] The village lies in the heart of Lublin Upland within the region known as Wysoczyzna Giełczewska on the Czerniejówka River. Głusk was founded between Abramowice and Dominów, villages that belonged to Tomasz Kazimierz Głuski of Drzewice of Ciołek crest. This landowner established Głusk in 1688 and named it Głusko, the name in use until the beginning of the 19th century when it was changed to Głusk. The Jewish kahal was established in 1689. Głusk is situated five km from the large province town of Lublin. Jewish population: 1857-394 (56%) and 1921: 390 (42%). The Głusk synagogue located at Miętowa Street was destroyed during the Nazi occupation with the ruins untouched a long time after World War II. A dirt road connected the Glusk and Lublin. In the autumn, the mud was knee-high, and in the winter people traveled by sled. A kind of regular transport between the two places existed with Yiddish movies shown at the Rialto cinema. Now, the settlement is one of Lublin's districts. However, a district office, a post office and a bank still remain in Głusk to meet the needs of its inhabitants. [May 2009 updated February 2010]
MASS GRAVE: During WWII, the Nazis carried out numerous executions, burying bodies in mass graves. Leon Pomorski, who lived close to the cemetery, told a journalist from "Kurier Lubelski" about one of the executions: "Germans ordered everyone to strip. Naked people were shot one by one. Together there were 28 bodies, including three babies. The Głusk Jews were told to clean after the execution. They dug a hole - grave." Before World War II, the ohel of the Wajsberg Family (land owners from Kalinówka) was located in the cemetery. Under German occupation, gravestones were taken to pave the settlement. Nazis executed many Jews in the cemetery over time. On April 19, 1942 the largest number of Jews  were executed close to the Wajsberg ohel. In 1995 a monument in a shape of an ohel was erected to commemorate the executed Jews. Designed by Stanisław Machnik, an architect from Lublin, and sponsored by Doba-Necha Zajfsztajn-Cukierman from Australia, a daughter of the Zajfsztajns. The cemetery was demolished during WWII and later used for grazing land and then abandoned. The current owner of the site is unknown. Jewish gravestones were incorporated into Brzozowe street and some other buildings. In June 2008, during construction works at Nektarowa Street in Głusk, the employees of the "Tempo" company found matzevot from the Jewish cemetery. The graves were just beneath the ground. The Jewish cemetery was in use between the end of the 17th century and 1942. photo. photos and video. [February 2010]
GLUSK: US Commission No. POCE00178
The date of earliest known Jewish community is 1638. 1921 Jewish population was 390, 42%. The cemetery was established at the end of the 17th century or in the beginning of the 18th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial 1942. The isolated suburban flat land, reached by turning directly off a public road with no sign. The cemetery is open to all with no fence. The cemetery size is.5? ha. [about 100,000 sq ft]. No stones are visible. The headstones removed from the cemetery were incorporated into roads or structures on Brzozowe Street. No known mass graves.
The present owner of the cemetery property is unknown and its use is primarily as a Jewish cemetery but also part, to a little extent, for waste dumping. The adjoining property is agricultural. Private visitors rarely visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a severe threat. Security is a moderate threat. The unfenced area is overgrown with vegetation and used as a children's playground, a place for drinking alcohol, and incidentally, for waste dumping.
In April 1990, Pawel Sykowski, ul. Kaiarowsyzyzna 64 159, 20-201 Lublin, tel. 772078 visited and completed survey with documentation from I. Strecke, D/E. Synagogengemeinde zu Oberglogau [in] Fetsch f. Oberglogau (1925)77. He interviewed people near the cemetery.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 14 February 2010 12:57|