Alternate names: Głowno [Pol], Glovna [Yid], Glovno, 51°58' N, 19°44' E, 19 miles NE of Łódź. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). We Remember Jewish Glowno. In the second half of the 18th century, landowners of Glowno brought new settlers to the town including Jews, who eventually constituted a majority of the town's population until WWII. photos. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000657
Glowno is in region Lodzkie at 51º57 N 19º46 E, 26 km from Lodz and 93 km from Warszawa. The cemetery was located at Ulica Swoboda 4. Present town population is 5,000 to 25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in the town dates from 1753 as does the cemetery. 1921 Jewish population was 1430. The last known Jewish burial in Orthodox and Conservative cemetery was 1939 to 1945. The isolated urban land by water has no sign or plaque. Accessed, by turning directly from a public road with permission, the cemetery is surrounded by a continuous fence with a locked gate. The approximate size of cemetery before World War II is undetermined. The cemetery no longer exists. A cloth factory named after W. Bytomskiej occupies the site. The stones have been removed from the cemetery and three fragments are housed in a museum at ul. Towicka St. 20 fragments are in the garden of W and Z. Rydzynskich at ul. Mtynarska 2. There, the earliest sandstone carved relief gravestone fragment with Hebrew inscriptions date from 1812 with the others from the 19th century. Adjacent site is recreational. Private visitors rarely visit the site.
Pawel Fijatkowski, 96-500 Spchaczew, ul. Ziemowitz 11, tel. 227-91 completed survey and visited the site in May 1991. He interviewed Zozistawa Rydznska.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 21:46|