You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland GLOGOW MALOPOLSKI: Podkarpackie
GLOGOW MALOPOLSKI: Podkarpackie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Głogów Małopolski

Alternate names: Głogów Małopolski [Pol], Glogov [Yid], Głogów,גלוגוב-Hebrew. 50°09' N, 21°58' E, 7 miles NNW of Rzeszów. Jewish population: 1,201 (in 1880), 648 (in 1921). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), II, p. 604: "Głogów". Town in Rzeszów County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship with a 2008 population of 5,325. ShtetLink [May 2009]

MASS GRAVE: Three mass graves mark the site of Jewish victims shot during the liquidation of the Rzeszow ghetto. [May 2009]

GLOGOW MALOPOLSKI: I US Commission No. POCE0000493
Located in Rzeszow at 50º09 21º58, 15 km North of Rzeszow. Cemetery location: ul. Sienkiewicza. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta 1 Gminy Rynek 1; Glogow, MLP Tel. 172-41.

The first mention of Jews was 17th century. The last census before WW II has about 1000 Jews. The cemetery was established in the beginning of the 18th century. The communities of Wysoka Glogowske and Wygoda used this cemetery about 1 km from the congregation that used it. During WW II, 5,000 Jews were killed. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surround. Approximate size of cemetery before WW II was 300 sq. m. The cemetery no longer exists. There are no gravestones in the cemetery. Municipality owns property now used for recreation (park and playground). Properties adjacent are residential and agricultural. Private visitors stop rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during WW II. The cemetery is not maintained. There are no structures. Threats: Uncontrolled access, vandalism and incompatible existing and planned development are very serious threats.

Natascha Rode 35-213 Rzeszow, ul. Starzynskiego 5/29 completed survey in 06/1992. Site was visited for the survey in 1992.

GLOGOW MALOPOLSKI II:     US Commission No. POCE000494
Located in Rzeszow, Poland. The town is located at 50º09 21º58, 15 km North of Rzeszow. Cemetery location: ul. Partyzantow. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Miasta 1 Gminy Rynek 1, Glogow, MLP Tel. 172-41.

The first mention of Jews was 17th century. The last census before WW II has about 1000 Jews. The cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last burial was during WWII. The community of Wygoda used this cemetery. Orthodox and progressive/reform Jews used the cemetery is about 3 km from the congregation that used it. During WW II 5,000 Jews were killed. The isolated forest hillside between woods and fields has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surround. Approximate size of cemetery before WW II was 1100 square meters. The cemetery no longer exists. There are no gravestones in the cemetery. Municipality owns property now used for recreation and is wooded. Properties adjacent are residential and agricultural. Private visitors stop rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during WW II. The cemetery is not maintained. There are no structures within the cemetery. Threats: Uncontrolled access and vandalism are very serious threats. Vegetation is a slight threat.

Natascha Rode 35-213 Rzeszow, ul. Starzynskiego 5/29. The completed survey in 06/1992 and visited site (1992). Interviewed was P. Buchard, Zabythi Kultury Zydowskiej.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 21:38
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution