GIZYCKO: Warmian-Masurian Print

Coat of arms of Giżycko

Alternate names: Loettsen [Ger], Lėcius [Lith] former Polish: Lec). 54°2′24″N 21°45′32″E,  A town in NE Poland with 29,796 inhabitants (2004) situated in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship (since 1999), having previously been in the Suwałki Voivodeship (1975-1998) and the seat of Giżycko County. [May 2009]

US Commission No. AS 115

Located in Suwalskie, 54º03 N 21º16 E. Cemetery location: Gizycko, ul. Warszawska/obecnie Park. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Jan Grabowski-Burmistrz, Urzad Miejski w Gizycku, 11-500 Gizycko, ul.1 Maja 14, Tel 5231
  • Regional: Stanislaw Tumidajewicz-Wojewodtki Konserwator Zabytkow 16-400 Suwalki, ul.Kosciuszki 7, Tel 663741

The earliest known Jewish community was mid-19th century. In 1873 there were 172 Jews. The Jewish cemetery was established around the mid-19th century. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no marker, wall, or fence. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No gravestones are visible; and the size of the cemetery is unknown. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site now used as a park. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and residential. The cemetery has not been vandalized in the past ten years.

Dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki, ul. 1 Maja 27a/47. Tel sl.663741, Tel d. 663756 completed survey 10/04/1994.

The cemetery was destroyed between 1946 and 1960. In the fall of 1998 there were a few fragments of graves, one with the inscription Simon Engle, born 21 J. 1841, died 17 ? 1924. After that time, everything else was removed. The original cemetery location was granted to Hirsch and Abracham Pincusin 1858. Joseph Blum bought the ground under the synagogue on Dec. 29, 1880. The value of the plot was 10 700 [German marks. Source: Jan Sekta, Custodian of the Social Archives Mazurian in Gizycko. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [December 1998]

Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 21:09