Alternate names: Gorzów Wielkopolski [Pol], Landsberg an der Warthe [Ger], Landsberg, Gorzów, Gorzów nad Wartą, Gorzów Wlkp. 52°44' N, 15°14' E, 76 miles WNW of Poznań (Posen), 54 miles SSE of Szczecin (Stettin). Jewish population: 730 (in 1871), 449 (in 1910). [May 2009] This village in Żnin County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north central Poland is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Gąsawa. It lies approximately 10 kilometres (6 mi) S of Żnin and 43 km (27 mi) SW of Bydgoszcz. The village has a population of 1,400. Gąsawa received city rights in 1388 and lost them in 1934. Jewish cemetery is landmarked. [May 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000594
Alternate name: Gerlingen in German. Gasawa, is located in Bydgoszcz, Poland (52º46 17º45), 23km from Znin. Present population is 1,000-5,000with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1939 Jewish population was 0. In 1871, there were 132 Jews. The cemetery was established in the second half of the 19th century. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.20 hectares. There are no gravestones, structures, or mass graves in the cemetery. The owner of the cemetery is the municipality. It is now used industrially or commercially. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and agricultural. The rarely visited cemetery was vandalized during World War II and since, and has no maintenance. Planned and existing incompatible nearly development are moderate threats.
Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel: 277335 completed survey 30/10/1992 using Information from the Gasawa commune council administration. M. Brabowska visited the site in October 1992.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 18:53|