Alternate names: Garwolin [Pol], Garvolin [Yid, Rus], Garvilin, Russian: Гарволин. גארוואלין-Yiddish. 51°54' N, 21°38' E, 34 miles WSW of Siedlce (Shedlits), 36 miles SE of Warszawa. Yizkor: Garwolin yisker-bukh.
This town on the Wilga river in eastern Poland is capital of Garwolin County, situated in southeast part of Garwolin plateux in Masovian Voivodeship since 1999, before in Siedlce Voivodeship), 62 km southeast of Warsaw, 100 km northwest of Lublin. About 16,000 inhabitants in the town. The Jewish cemetery in Garwolin was established in the first half of 19th century. located near the village of Sulbiny Gorne, about 20 matzevot remain. The cemetery is 0.5 ha.[May 2009]
Jews lived in Garwolin by in the 18th century, but increased most in the 19th century. Jewish population: 1827 - 141 Jews; 1861 - 656, and at the end of the 19th century - 2,182, most engaged in trade and crafts or supplying through the supply of local garrison. In 1860, the Jewish community built an imposing synagogue with high windows and a decorative façade. Chassidism was prevalent as was Agudat Israel. In 1921, 2424 Jews accounted for 47.7% of the total population. Many local Jews lived through the financial support of the Joint. These difficult economic conditions contributed to anti-Semitism in Garwolinie. At the end of September 1939, the Luftwaffe bombed Garwolin killing dozens of Jews. Some fled to other villages. The Jewish Historical Institutemanuscript by Rabbi Simon Huberbanda, entitled "The Destruction of Synagogues, Cemeteries and Houses of Prayer, says: The prayer house was built nearly one hundred years ago, but no synagogue. The house had a library of prayer books purchased over one hundred years of its existence. Many valuable items existed. "After the occupation of the city by the Germans, the Jews were subjected to increasing repression. In 1940, Garwolin Jewish residents were deported to ghettos in Parysowie Żelechowie and, later to death camps. Most perished before the end of the war. [Mary 2009]
CEMETERY: Today's inhabitants call the Jewish cemetery "kierkutem." Established in a relatively large area away from the city center in the village called Sulbiny. According tothe Jewish Historical Instyitute, the oldest preserved matzevot was 1863, but cemetery was established earlier in the 19th century. To reach the cemetery, pass the intersection at the hospital and turn opposite the on the left. The cemetery is located about 60 meters in the forest on the left side of the road (click here to download the location PDF file, 160 KB). During WWII, the Nazis destroyed the cemetery, using the gravestones to construct a swimming pool in Garwolinie. Tens years later, a residential pool was built on the site. Currently, the cemetery has over thirty visible graves in the oak forest, some in different locations. Most are simple granite gravestones with some sandstone, all with Hebrew inscriptions. Conservation enables reading some such as "This woman buried [....] Miss Ester Rachel, daughter of our teacher Jehuda Katz of blessed memory. 8 Sivan She died in 634 by a small ___. Let her soul will be included in the crown of life eternal. "Decorative elements occur only on a few gravestones, mostly candles on the graves of Jewish women. In the western part of the cemetery is a large plate the securing the grave. In several places are depressions of mass graves. The cemetery boundaries are blurred with no evidence of any fence. The northern boundary follows a small stream. No road leads to the cemetery. Photos and some in the yizkor. [May 2009]
burial list and gravestone photos [August 2014]
burial list [Jan 2015]
US Commission No. POCE000570
Alternate Yiddish name: Garvolin. Garwolin is located in Siedlechie province at 51º54 21º38, 62 km ESE of Warsaw. The cemetery is located in Sulbiny, 150 meters E of the Warsaw-Lublin road, by the forest road. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 4000. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The last known burial was during WWII. The isolated rural/agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery has no wall, fence, or gate. The size today and before WWII was 0.5 hectare. 1-20 stones, in original position with fewer than 25% toppled or broken, date from probably 20th century. The granite and sandstone rough stones/boulders, flat-shaped stones, or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Yiddish iInscriptions. No known mass graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No current care. No structures. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing stones.
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed this survey on 15 Oct 1992. He interviewed Tadeusz Closek, Siedlce on 15 Oct 1992.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 03 January 2015 20:39|