Alternate names: Ełk [Pol], Lyck [Ger], Lik, Łęg, Łęk, Luks [Old Prussian], Lukas [Lith]. 53°50' N, 22°21' E, 30 miles SW of Suwałki, in former E Prussia. Jewish population: 250 (in 1880), 137 (in 1933). In NE Poland with 55,846 inhabitants in 2004 in Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship in 1999 and in Suwałki Voivodeship from 1975 to 1998 the town on the shore of Ełckie Lake formed by a glacier and surrounded by forests is part of Masuria region and is popular with hunters. [April 2009]
photos. [April 2009]
US Commission No. AS 113
Located in region Suwalskie. Cemetery location: ul. Wojska Polskiego. 1994 town population: 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was early 18th century (1715-29 Jews.) The cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban crown of a hill, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or fence. There are no visible gravestones or known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial. The cemetery boundaries are the same as in 1939. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery has not been vandalized in the last ten years. No maintenace. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Slight threats: security, weather erosion, pollution and vegetation. Moderate threats: vandalism, incompatible nearby existing and planned development.
Dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki ul.1 Maja 27a/47, tel.d.663756, tel.sl.663741 completed survey on 10/04/1994.
|Last Updated on Friday, 24 April 2009 12:54|