Alternate names: Dzierzgoń, Christburg [Ger]. 53°56' N 19°21' E, 134.9 miles NNW of Warszawa, , 62 km from Gdansk. Kristapilė [Lith] is a town in east of Malbork and south of Elbląg on the Dzierzgoń River with a population of 5,800. Gmina Dzierzgoń is an urban-rural administrative district in Sztum County, Pomeranian Voivodeship in northern Poland with town of Dzierzgon as its seat. The gmina 2006 population was 9,533 (in the town at 5,630. Gmina Dzierzgoń contains the villages and settlements of Ankamaty, Bągart, Blunaki, Bruk, Budzisz, Chartowo, Chojty, Jasna, Jeziorno, Judyty, Kamienna Góra, Kuksy, Lisi Las, Litewki, Minięta, Morany, Nowa Karczma, Nowiec, Nowiny, Pachoły, Pawłowo, Piaski Sztumskie, Poliksy, Prakwice, Spalonki, Stanówko, Stanowo, Stara Wieś, Tywęzy and Żuławka Sztumska.Jewish population: 1772-124; 1858 - 318; 1885-224; and 1913-77. In 1838, they built a synagogue and cemetery. 1937 Jewish population: 20. The last Jews left Dzierzgoń in 1938. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: photos and text in Polish. The fenced and landmarked cemetery located near Sloneczna St was established in the 19th century. IAbout 30 matzevot remain. Fenced on ul. Słonecznej, about thirty graves remain, the oldest from the first half of the 19th century. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000759
The cemetery is on Rolnicza Street by the road to Tywezy. 1992 town population: 5000-25000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was in 1849 when 262 persons lived there. 1937 Jewish population was 13. In 1812, judenedikt took place. The Orthodox and Progressive cemetery was established in the 19th century. It is landmarked in the Register of Monuments of the voievodship of Elblag. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous masonry wall with non-locking gate surrounds it. It was and is around 0.35 hectares in size. 20 to 100 stones, all in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1874. The granite, sandstone, or other material tombstones finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration. Inscriptions are in Hebrew and German. There are no known mass graves or structures. The present owner is called Forests of the State. Property adjacent to the cemetery is forest. Rarely, private and local visitors stop. It was vandalized during WWII and not maintained now. Vandalism remains a moderate threat.
Wiktor Knercer, Olsztyn, 10-685, ul Barcza 33/16 Tel# 33-86-07 visited site in June 1992 and completed survey in August 1992. Documentation was "documentation card of 1910-1920.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 07 May 2009 02:38|