Alternate names: Działoszyn [Pol], Zaloshin and זאלושין [Yid], Dzyaloshin [Rus], Dilltal [Ger, 1939-45], Dzaloshin, Chernokinits, Russian: Дзялошин. דז'יאלושין-Hebrew. 51°07' N, 18°52' E, 50 miles SSW of Łódź, 24 miles NNW of Częstochowa, 15 miles SE of Wieluń in Pajęczno County, Łódź Voivodeship, with 6,357 inhabitants in 2004. Jewish population: 1,237 in 1857 and 1,430 in 1921. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976).
CEMETERY: photos. [April 2009]
US Commission No.POCE000683
Dzialoszyn is located in Scevadz region at a 51º07N 18º52E, 88 km from Piotrkow Tuybnnalski. The cemetery is located between street: Nieata, and Polna Prostra. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community is the 17th century. Jewish population in 1921 was 1909 representing 47.9% of the total. The cemetery was established in the 17th century. Last known Conservative or Orthodox burial was in 1939. The isolated urban crown of a hill has sign or plaque in Polish mentioning the Holocaust. The cemetery is reached by turning directly off a public road and open to all. A broken masonry with no gate wall surrounds. It is approx. 1.0 hectares in size, unchanged from before WWII. No tombstones are visible. It was vandalized during WWII. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims, but no mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. The adjacent area is residential. It is visited occasionally. No care.
Adam Penkalla, Gagavina 9124, 26-600 Radom, completed this survey in November 1992. Private documentation was also used to complete this survey as well as on site visitation. No interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 April 2009 23:36|