Alternate names: Działdowo, Soldau [Ger]. 53°14' N 20°11' E, 76.0 miles NNW of Warszawa. This town in north-central Poland with 24,830 inhabitants in 2006 is the seat of Działdowo County in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship since 1999 and a major railroad junction. Działdowo previously belonged to Ciechanów Voivodeship (1975-1998). In 1939, the town was annexed by Nazi Germany into Neidenburg District. They captured and tortured political and cultural leaders before murdering them, most of them Jewish. The Soldau concentration camp was built nearby, at which 13,000 out of 30,000 prisoners were murdered. Heavily damaged during on the Eastern Front, the destroyed town was restored to Poland after WWII. [April 2009]
For hundreds of years, Jewish settlement was prohibited, but in the city archives are references to Jewish merchants. In 1683-87 records are references to Jewish customs duty ( "Judenzoll) for Jews from Ciechanów, Mlawa, Kowla, Pinsk. In the 18th century is a mention of a Jewish convert, a boy. In 1791, Jakob Itzig, a Jewish Prussian army supplier, requested permission to settle in the city. After local merchants protested, fearing competition, the administration rejected him. In 1806, when residents tried to do business with Salomon Nathan Mejer Bieżunia, a similar situation occurred,his application to trade rejected. On March 11, 1812 an edict was issued that permitted permanent settlement of Jews in Prussia with full equal rights. In 1816, Simon Dąbrówna Mejer (German: Gilgenburg) settled. Jewish population: 1847 - 50 and in 1862 - 109. In 1865, the Jews rented the castle chapel for ten years and built the synagogue in 1874. Działdowie Jews became wealthy trading alcohol, textiles, glass, porcelain, and grain. Some such as Samuel and Isidor Buetow sat on the municipal council. In WWI and soon after, most emigrated. In 1938, only seventeen Jews remained. [May 2009]
CEMETERY: Located on Sienkiewicza Street, the unfenced cemetery was established in second half of 19th century. Only two matzevot remain. photos. The cemetery already functioned in 1863 at ul. Sienkiewicza on a rectangular plot of 0.4 ha. Only a few matzevot remained after WWII. The fenced cemetery with a Mogen David and says: "Jewish Cemetery". YouTube Video [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000365
Dzialdowois [was] located in Ciechanow. The cemetery is located at ul. Sienkiewicza. 1991 population: 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was the beginning of the 19th century. 1937 Jewish population (census) was 19. The cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Jewish burial in 1941. Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, and Progressive/Reform communities used the unlandmarked cemetery used by no other towns. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road with access open to all has a continuous fence and non-locking gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.28 hectares. 20 and 100 visible gravestones, fewer than 20 not in original position and 25% and 50% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access and a constant problem that disturbs the graves. They granite, sandstone, and other materials flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, Yiddish, Polish, German, and Russian inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. There are no structures. A regional or national governmental agency owns property used for recreation and a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are residential. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years. No maintenance. Vandalism is the most serious threat facing the cemetery.
Wojcieck Henrykowski, ul. Spoldzielcza 20, 06-200 Makow Mazowiecki completed survey on 03/10/1991. He visited in September 1991. Documentation: collection of Paristwowa Sluzbo Ochrony Zabytkow ( Doskumentaya historyczno Urbanisty-czna Dzioitolowo in the collection PS202 Ciechoinow) [Scientific Documentation of Dzialdowo]. Interviews with the employees of the communal office in Dzialdowo were conducted in September 1991.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 07 May 2009 02:29|