Alternate names: Dukla [Pol], 49°34' N, 21°41' E, 36 miles SSW of Rzeszów (Zheshuv), 10 miles SSE of Krosno. 1900 Jewish population: 2,539. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 3: Western Galicia and Silesia (Jerusalem, 1984). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), II, pp. 211-212: "Krosno". ShtetLink Dukla is a town and municipality in SE Poland in the Subcarpathian Voivodship with 2,127 people in 2008 while the total population of the commune (gmina) was 16,640. The Dukla mountain pass located in the Carpathians, a few miles south of Dukla on the border with Slovakia, was the scene of a major battle in 1944. 1881 Jewish population: 2,553 (84.2%). The ruins of the synagogue, built in 1758, and destroyed by the Nazis during the war and the nearby building of the former Jewish school exist. Dukla was the home of Naftali and Gitel Rubinsteinowie, parents Helena Rubinstein of the cosmetics firm. The 1900 population was 3000, of whom 2400 were Jews. During WWII, a Jewish ghetto was created. Imprisoned Jews worked in a quarry and building roads. In 1943, Jews in the ghetto were divided into three groups. About 2000 (women, children and old people) were taken away, first to Krosno and then to the Belżec extermination camp. About 100, mostly the intellectuals, were taken away to Barwinek, stripped, and shot near Mt Błudna. The Jewish police Judendienstordung controlled the deported Jews. About 200 strong and healthy men went to buildings in Cergowska street for road-building and quarry forced labor in Lipowica. [April 2009]
DUKLA I: US Commission No. POCE000720 and
DUKLA II: US Commission No. POCE000721, In Krosno. The US Commission is not finished rechecking these files. 
UPDATE: Coming from Slovak-Polish border, cemetery is on the left before you enter village. Dukla is 24 km S of Krosno. The isolated suburban site is about 20 meters off the road. A sign used in Poland to mark places of martyrs, places where victims, Polish or Jewish, suffered from the Third Reich, marks the cemetery. The cemetery is reached by turning directly off a public road. A hedge or row of trees or bushes around it surrounds the cemetery. The cemetery has a broken non-locking gate. The present size of cemetery is 20x30m. Approximately, twenty gravestones are in cemetery. The vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem that is disturbing graves and damaging stones. Water drainage makes cemetery look like a meadow. The present owner is unknown. The cemetery property is marked as memorial with no fresh graves. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery has no signs of visitors. The cemetery was vandalized: stones overturned, broken or stolen stones, graffiti painted on walls or stones, etc.; graves desecrated. No care or maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 May 2009 14:47|