DUBIECKO: Przemyśl Print

Coat of arms of Gmina Dubiecko

Alternate names: Dubiecko [Pol], Dibetsk [Yid], Dubatsk, Dubetsko, Dubetsk, Dubietzko, Dubyetsko, דיבעצק-Yiddish. 49°49' N, 22°23' E, 23 miles SE of Rzeszów, 18 miles W of Przemyśl and 22 mi SE of the regional capital Rzeszów. 1900 Jewish population: 977. Yizkors: Khurbn Dynow, Sonik, Dibetsk (New York, 1949/50) and Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 3: Western Galicia and Silesia (Jerusalem, 1984). ShtetLink. Gmina Dubiecko is a rural administrative district in Przemyśl County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in SE Poland with the village of Dubiecko as the seat. The total gmina 2006 population is 9,590. Villages and settlements of the gmina are Bachórzec, Drohobyczka, Dubiecko, Hucisko Nienadowskie, Iskań, Kosztowa, Łączki, Nienadowa, Piątkowa, Przedmieście Dubieckie, Sielnica, Śliwnica, Słonne, Tarnawka, Winne-Podbukowina, Wybrzeże and Załazek Piątkowski. The first record of Jews in Dubiecko is from 162l. At the beginnin,g Jews from Dubiecko were subordinate to the Przemyśl kehilla. In the mid-18th century, the community owned a cemetery and a synagogue here demolished in 1799 because no permission was granted for its construction. Jewish population: 1765 - 116; 1880 - 666; and 1921 - 977 (about 50%). They dominated trade and crafts. Hassidism had great influence in Dubiecko. Seriously damaged during WWI, the Russian army plundered the town including Jewish property. Many Jewish soldiers did not return after the war; they remained in Austria and Germany or emigrated to America . In November 1918, local peasants plundered shops owned by Jews. Just after the Nazis occupied the town, they burned the prayer house and in October 1939 the second synagogue was demolished. In November, Jews sent to the other side of the San River in areas taken by the Red Army. Deportation with brutal beatings allow only a small piece of baggage. Some drowned in the river. After entering the Soviet zone, refugees were robbed by Ukrainian peasants. Some exiled Jews returned after the Soviet/German pact. Almost all were murdered during executions in Dubiecko and surrounding areas.[April 2009]

CEMETERY: Located in the northern part of the city about three hundred meters from Market Square, during WWII, the Nazis destroyed almost completely the cemetery, using tombstones for road building. Scattered grave fragments remain. From visit to Dubiecko with cemetery photos: "The fence around the cemetery is new. A bit of the original wall remains." photos: "weeds were two-three feet high." The new concrete wall was built by Dubietzkers from Brooklyn. In the north part of the town about 300 meters from the main market square, the cemetery was the site of Nazis organized mass executions, the largest on June 24, 1942 when about 80 people were shot. Nazis almost completely destroyed cemetery to use tombstones fix roads. Only pieces of matzevot survived. The key to the cemetery is held in the libary. [April 2009]

MASS GRAVE: In the middle of the cemetery are two large trees several hundred feet apart where the Nazis murdered Jews and buried them in a mass grave. The largest murder took place on June 24, 1942, the shooting of eighty people. [April 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000149

Located in Przemysl region, about 33 km from Przemysl at a 22º23 º49.49. The cemetery is N of the town. 1991 town population: 1000-5000 and no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, tel # 97.
  • Local conservator: Zabytkow at 37-700 Przemysl at Rynek 24, tel# 5944.

In 1921, 977 Orthodox Jews lived there. The isolated rural flat land with no marker or sign is reached by turning directly off a public road and open to all with no fence or gate. Both before WW II and now it is 0.62 hectares in size. 1-20 stones, in original locations but with more than 75% toppled or broken, are made of sandstone. Removed stones are in the road to Wybrzeze ( a village/part of the town at San River). The cemetery contains no mass graves. A regional or national governmental agency owns property used for agricultural as is the adjacent property. Rarely, local residents visit. No threats. It was vandalized during WWII and is currently not maintained.

Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21 m.1, 02-567 Warsaw, Tel# 49-54-62 completed this survey on October 16, 1991. Site was visited in August, 1990 and data obtained from the municipal office. Interviews were also conducted.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 May 2009 14:30