You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland DRZEWICA: Opoczno
DRZEWICA: Opoczno PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Drzewica

Alternate names: Drzewica [Pol], Zhevitza [Yid], Dzhevitza [Rus], Russian: Джевица. דז'אביצה-Hebrew.  51°27' N, 20°29' E, 29 miles W of Radom, 10 mi NE of Opoczno and 49 mi SE of the regional capital Łódź. 1900 Jewish population: 855. This town in Opoczno County, Łódź Voivodeship, with 4,022 inhabitants in 2004 is seat of Gmina Drzewica, an urban-rural administrative district in central Poland with a 2006 total population was 11,053. [April 2009].

US Commission No. POCE000088

The cemetery is on Kolejowa Str. 1991 town population: 5000 to 25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Wojt Gminy, ul. 30-lecia PRL, tel# 91, 26-310 Drzewica.
  • Regional: Wojewodski Konservator Zabythow, 26-600 Radom ul. Moniuszki 5a, Tel# 21316.

Earliest known Jewish community dates from 1765.1921 population was 1013 Jews (61%). The cemetery was established in 1865 with last known burial 1942. The isolated suburban flat land has no signs or markers and is not maintained. The cemetery is reached by turning directly off a public road. There is no fence, gate, or tombstones. The cemetery property, now used for agriculture, is adjacent to recreational, commercial, or industrial and agricultural land. Mostly tour groups visit rarely. Vandalism took place here during WWII. There are no structures.

Adam Penkalla, ul. Gagarina 9m 24 Radom, Tel# 48 - 366 35 34 visited site July 15, 1991 and completed survey on August 2, 1991. No other documentation was used.

Last Updated on Thursday, 23 April 2009 16:20
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution