|DRAWSKO POMORSKIE: Koszalin|
Alternate name: Dramburg [Ger], Drawsko. 53°32' N 15°48' E, 234.0 miles WNW of Warszawa. Located in SE West Pomeranian Voivodeship (since 1999) in the Pomeranian mountain crest, this urban-rural gmina is capital of Drawsko County near the headwater of the Drawa, west Drawsko Landscape Park. A large training ground near the town is frequently used in NATO exercises. Jewish settlement in Drawsku Pomorskim dates from 1735-1740. The synagogue was erected in 1839. In 1861, 186 Jews lived and the cemetery existed. As in other Polish cities, starting in the second half of the nineteenth century, emigration of Jews began. The size of the Jewish community fell dramatically. Only 24 Jews remained in 1933. In 1935 they sold the synagogue that was later destroyed. [April 2009]
CEMETERY: photos. Today, the presence of Jews in the town cemetery at ul. Łąkowej is the low-fenced square with several damaged gravestones. [April 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000325
The cemetery is at m. Loykowa?. 1991 town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The Reform /Progressive Cemetery was established in the 18th century. It is only Jewish cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no markers. Directly off a private road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall with no gate surrounds the cemetery. It is 0.16 hectares, the same as before World War II. 1-20 gravestones with none in original locations and less than 25% broken, date from 1885. The sandstone flat shaped stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site. Properties adjacent are commercial and residential. Rarely, local residents visit. It was vandalized prior to WWII and has no care. There are no structures. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation and a moderate threat from vandalism.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szerecin, Soktysia 3/13 Tel. 377-41 completed this survey on Aug. 30, 1991
|Last Updated on Monday, 04 May 2009 10:30|