You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland DOBRZANY: Stargard
DOBRZANY: Stargard PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Dobrzany Alternate names: Dobrzany, Jacobshagen, Jakobshagen. 53°22' N 15°25' E, 245.4 miles WNW of Warszawa, 17 mi E of Stargard Szczeciński and 35 mi E of the regional capital Szczecin.. This town in Stargard County, West Pomeranian Voivodeship had a 2004 population of 2,463. Gmina Dobrzany is an urban-rural administrative district in NW Poland with the town of Dobrzany as the seat.The gmina 2006 population was 5,073. Gmina Dobrzany also contains the villages and settlements of Biała, Błotno, Bytowo, Dolice, Grabnica, Kępno, Kielno, Kozy, Krzemień, Lutkowo, Mosina, Odargowo, Ognica, Okole, Sierakowo and Szadzko. [April 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000198

Dobrzany is located in region Szczecim. The cemetery is located on ul. Mickiewicza. 1991 town population: 5,000-25,000; no Jews.

  • Town: Burmistrz; inz. Miroslaw Przysiwek Dobrzany, 73-110 Dobrzany, tel. 62-02-01, 62-00-38. Urzad Gminy i Miasta Dobrzany 73-119 Dobrzany.
  • Regional: mgr. Ewa Stanecka; Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow ul. Kusnierska 20, tel. 70-536 Szczecin.
  • Interested: Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B, 73-110 Stargard Szczecinski, tel. 73-44-40 Stargard.

The earliest known Jewish community was around 1872. The Orthodox cemetery was established about 1850 with last known burial in 1940. Biala, gm Dobrzany and Kepno, about 6 km. away, also used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated, urban land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall and an unlocked gate surround. The cemetery was about .15 hectares before WWII;.01 hectares now as a result of encroaching housing and commercial development. Either 1-20 stones OR 20-100 stones in original location date from 1864 to 20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. No known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for recreation and commerce. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents visit. It was vandalized during WWII. Maintenance or care is limited to some stones reerection. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The only threat is encroaching development.

Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuski 4/B 73-110 Stargard; 73-44-40 completed survey on 12 Oct. 1991 based a review of Karta Cmentarza 1990 and an interview with Jozef Gierak, ul. Mickiewicza, Dobrzany on 10.10.1991.

Last Updated on Thursday, 23 April 2009 13:00
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution